What Is the Maximum Length a Stainless Steel Wire Can Hang Without Deforming?

In summary, the question posed is what is the maximum length a cylindrical wire of stainless steel alloy can have without experiencing plastic deformation when hanging vertically and supporting only its own weight. The relevant equations used to solve this problem are ε = σ/E, ε = ΔL/L, and ΔL = FL/AE. The solution was found to be 10434.78 ft, with the help of experts on Yahoo Answers.
Arshad_Physic

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical wire of stainless steel alloy hangs vertically, supporting only its own weight. What is the maximum length the wire can have without experiencing plastic deformation?

E = 28 Mpsi
Density = 483 lb/(ft^3)
Yield Stress 35 ksi

Homework Equations

ε = σ/E, where E = modulus

ε = ΔL / L

ΔL = FL/AE

The Attempt at a Solution

I did ε = σ / E = 0.00125. σ is the Yield Stress

Then I used this equation: ε = ΔL / L and hence I got L = 800ΔL

But I am stuck here - totally stuck! :eek:

Please help! :) I have spent a long time on this!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem resolved. Answers.yahoo guys solved it. I don't know how to delete this....:)

Thanks to all those who read this though! :)

PS: Answer is 10434.78 ft, if someone comes and is looking for answer to this question and stumbles upon this webpage! :D

Related to What Is the Maximum Length a Stainless Steel Wire Can Hang Without Deforming?

What is "Intro to Engineering problem"?

"Intro to Engineering problem" is a course designed to introduce students to the fundamental principles and problem-solving techniques used in the field of engineering. It covers a wide range of topics, including mathematics, physics, and computer science, to provide a strong foundation for future engineering courses.

What are the key skills taught in this course?

This course focuses on developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Students will also learn how to apply mathematical and scientific principles to real-world engineering problems.

Who can take this course?

This course is open to anyone with an interest in engineering, regardless of their academic background. It is commonly taken by students pursuing degrees in engineering, but it can also be beneficial for those in other STEM fields or anyone looking to gain a basic understanding of engineering principles.

What are the benefits of taking "Intro to Engineering problem"?

Taking this course can provide a strong foundation for future studies in engineering and other STEM fields. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, it can give students a taste of different engineering disciplines, helping them make informed decisions about their future career paths.

What are the common challenges students face in this course?

Some students may struggle with the heavy focus on math and science in this course. Additionally, the problem-solving assignments and group projects may be challenging for those who are not used to working in a team. However, with dedication and hard work, these challenges can be overcome, and students can excel in the course.