What is the Maximum Speed and Travel Time for a Subway Train?

• Thread starter Kside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the maximum speed a subway train can attain between stations is 50.1326 m/s and the travel time between stations is 32.5537 seconds. To solve for the maximum average speed of the train, we can use the formula a = v/t and the given acceleration to get the answer.
Kside
I'm having a bit of trouble with this question and would greatly appreciate all the help I can get...

(a) If the maximum acceleration that is tolerable for passengers in a subway train is 1.54 m/s2 and subway stations are located 816 m apart, what is the maximum speed a subway train can attain between stations? (b) What is the travel time between stations? (c) If a subway train stops for 24.0 s at each station, what is the maximum average speed of the train, from one start-up to the next?

-I started (a) using the formula: x = vt + 1/2at^2
-I plugged in 816m for x and 1.54m/s^2 for a
-I got t=32.5537
-Then I used this time and the given acceleration to solve for v using the formula: a = v/t getting the answer 50.1326 for part (a)

Can someone please let me know if this is correct and how I can begin to tackle parts (b) and (c)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the train does not slow down when approaching the station , answer looks OK for 'a'.
For b, you already solved it!
For c, what's the formula for average speed.

Related to What is the Maximum Speed and Travel Time for a Subway Train?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

What is a kinematic equation?

A kinematic equation is a mathematical formula that relates the position, velocity, acceleration, and time of an object in motion. There are four basic kinematic equations, each of which can be used to solve for one of the variables.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Acceleration can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant speed).

How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in a variety of real-life applications, including sports (such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball), transportation (such as designing car engines for optimal performance), and space exploration (such as planning the trajectory of a spacecraft). It is also used in engineering and robotics to design and control the movement of machines and robots.