What is the maximum speed of a block attached to a spring with a force of 20lbs?

In summary: When I FOIL the right-hand side of that last line, I'll end up with a 4th-order equation (x4)... Am I on the right... or is this something else?The equation for maximum velocity is x'=\frac{\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg}{\left (\frac{k}{m}x^2-\mu_kgx \right )^{2}}In summary, Homework Statement A 10-lb block is attached to an unstretched spring of constant k=12lb/in. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the block and the plane are 0.60
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 10-lb block is attached to an unstretched spring of constant k=12lb/in. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the block and the plane are 0.60 and 0.40, respectively. If a force F is slowly applied to the block until the tension in the spring reaches 20lb and then suddenly removed, determine (a) the speed of the block as it returns to its initial position, (b) the maximum speed achieved by the block.

Homework Equations

PE1+KE1+SE1+Work=PE2+KE2+SE2

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]k=12\frac{lb}{in}\cdot \frac{12in}{1ft}=144\frac{lb}{ft}[/tex]

[tex]W=10lb \to m = \frac{W}{g} = 0.311[/tex]

[tex]g=32.2\frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\mu_s=0.60[/tex]

[tex]\mu_k=0.40[/tex]

[tex]f=\mu_kmg[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}k\left (\Delta x \right )^2=20lb \rightarrow \Delta x=\sqrt{\frac{2(20)}{k}}=0.527ft[/tex]

[tex]PE_1+KE_1+SE_1+Work=PE_2+KE_2+SE_2[/tex]

[tex]20lb-\Delta x\mu_kmg=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2(20)}{m}-2\Delta x\mu_kg}[/tex]

The answer I get from the equation for velocity yields 10.73ft/s. The correct answers according to the book are:
(a) 2.32ft/s
(b) 2.39ft/s

Physics news on Phys.org
JJBladester said:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}k\left (\Delta x \right )^2=20lb \rightarrow \Delta x=\sqrt{\frac{2(20)}{k}}=0.527ft[/tex]
20 lbs is a force not an energy. Use Hooke's law to find the displacement from the unstretched position.

Doc Al said:
Use Hooke's law to find the displacement from the unstretched position.

Hooke's Law: F=-kx

20=-144x

x=(20)/(-144)=-.139ft

Plugging in that value for the initial displacement of the spring still yields the wrong answer when solving for velocity... But thanks for the pointer on the use of Hooke's Law. Is something else in my equation set up incorrectly?

JJBladester said:
Hooke's Law: F=-kx

20=-144x

x=(20)/(-144)=-.139ft
Good. But use just the magnitude of that displacement. (The minus sign in Hooke's law just describes the fact that the restoring force is always opposite to the displacement.)

Plugging in that value for the initial displacement of the spring still yields the wrong answer when solving for velocity... But thanks for the pointer on the use of Hooke's Law. Is something else in my equation set up incorrectly?
Using the same approach, I was able to get the textbook answer. (You're not using a negative value for x, are you?)

[tex]\frac{1}{2}k(\Delta x)^2-\mu mg\Delta x=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(144)(.138)^2-(0.4)(10)(.138)=\frac{1}{2}(.311)v^2[/tex]

[tex]v=2.32ft/s[/tex]

Great... Part A is solved. Onto Part B (determine the block's maximum velocity).

My guess is that the maximum velocity happens the moment when the block is released because friction hasn't had a chance to work on it yet, decreasing its energy.

So, I have written:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}k(\Delta x)^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]v=2.99ft/s\neq 2.39ft/s[/tex]

Apparently I've made an incorrect assumption that the maximum velocity occurs right when the block is released? When else could it occur, then?

JJBladester said:
My guess is that the maximum velocity happens the moment when the block is released because friction hasn't had a chance to work on it yet, decreasing its energy.
Well, the moment the block is released it's just starting to move--so its speed is zero!

So, I have written:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}k(\Delta x)^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]v=2.99ft/s\neq 2.39ft/s[/tex]
What you found was the speed it would have when the spring returns to its unstretched position if you ignore friction. That's not it.

Apparently I've made an incorrect assumption that the maximum velocity occurs right when the block is released? When else could it occur, then?
Find an expression for speed (or energy) as a function of position and solve for its maximum value.

Doc Al said:
Find an expression for speed (or energy) as a function of position and solve for its maximum value.

I may be making this way more difficult than it needs to be, but here is my attempt, with the foreknowledge that a=v(dv/dx):

[tex]\sum F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=kx-\mu_kmg=ma[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg[/tex]

[tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg[/tex]

[tex]\left (v \right )dv=\left (\frac{k}{m}x \right )dx-\left (\mu_kg \right )dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{v_i}^{v}vdv=\frac{k}{m}\int_{x_i}^{x}xdx-\mu_kg\int_{x_i}^{x}dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{v^2}{2}=\frac{k}{2m}x^2-\mu_kgx[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}x^2-2\mu_kgx}[/tex]

[tex]v'=\frac{1}{2}\left [ \frac{k}{m}x^2-2\mu_kgx \right ]^{-1/2}\left ( \frac{2k}{m}x-2\mu_kg \right )[/tex]

[tex]v'=\frac{\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg}{\left (\frac{k}{m}x^2-\mu_kgx \right )^{2}}[/tex]

Setting v' equal to zero and solving for x will give the position at which maximum velocity occurs. Plugging that value for x into the v(x) equation should give the maximum velocity.

[tex]\frac{\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg}{\left (\frac{k}{m}x^2-\mu_kgx \right )^{2}}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{k}{m}x-\mu_kg=\left (\frac{k}{m}x^2-\mu_kgx \right )^{2}[/tex]

Okay, at this point, I need a reality check. Should solving for maximum velocity be that hard? When I FOIL the right-hand side of that last line, I'll end up with a 4th-order equation (x4)... Am I on the right track?

Way too complicated. Write down a conservation of energy statement that tells you the kinetic energy as a function of position. (Make sure you define position consistently. For example, let x be the distance from the unstretched position.) Then find the maximum of that function.

(Realize that maximum speed means maximum KE. And KE is easier to work with.)

Related to What is the maximum speed of a block attached to a spring with a force of 20lbs?

1. What is the energy of spring on a block?

The energy of spring on a block refers to the potential energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy and can be released when the spring returns to its original shape.

2. How is the energy of spring on a block calculated?

The energy of spring on a block can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2*k*x^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. This formula is derived from the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the energy of spring on a block?

The energy of spring on a block is affected by the spring constant, which determines how stiff or soft the spring is, and the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. The greater the spring constant and displacement, the more energy the spring will store.

4. Can the energy of spring on a block be negative?

Yes, the energy of spring on a block can be negative if the spring is stretched beyond its natural length. In this case, the potential energy stored in the spring will be less than zero, indicating that work has been done on the system to stretch the spring.

5. How is the energy of spring on a block used in real-life applications?

The energy of spring on a block is used in many real-life applications, such as in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and pogo sticks. It is also used in devices that require a constant force, such as constant force springs and balance scales. Additionally, the energy of spring on a block is harnessed in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.