What is the maximum velocity of object A if its weight is doubled?

• Thread starter BeefSteak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: Crr) (0.03 is a good figure)Assuming all the tyres are the same, the rolling resistance drag force (f) in Newtons you get from :f = m * g * Crr1) air drag force, which increases (exponentially) with velocity.An exponential increase would be very unusual, for typical vehicles and the given speed a quadratic dependence is a much better approximation.2)
BeefSteak
I was thinking of an object let's say object A has a maximum velocity of 50mph and weighs 100lbs if I added another 100lbs what would be the maximum velocity of the object A? I also want to know what topic is this concern for me to study and enable myself to answer this types of question.So I was thinkg KE = 1/2(mv^2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity isn't determined by mass, so the question isn't really sensible. The only limit on the velocity is the speed of light. It takes a force to increase the velocity of an object, and the faster you want to go and the heavier an object is the more force you need to get to that point. So doubling the mass would simply mean you'd need more Force to accelerate the object to get to 50 mph. This is the whole idea behind Newton's Second Law.

Likes BeefSteak
BeefSteak said:
I was thinking of an object let's say object A has a maximum velocity of 50mph and weighs 100lbs if I added another 100lbs what would be the maximum velocity of the object A? I also want to know what topic is this concern for me to study and enable myself to answer this types of question.So I was thinkg KE = 1/2(mv^2)

Hi, BeefSteak, I hope you did not let yourself frighten away . Welcome to PF! This is a good place, if you stick to the rules. You are offered a template when you start a thread, and you must not delete it.
I wonder what your question really is. What do you mean on maximum velocity? Please, copy the whole problem text.

A (wheeled) vehicle has two drag forces limiting its top speed.
(level ground assumed)
1) air drag force, which increases (exponentially) with velocity.
2) rolling resistance drag force which is deemed to be constant regardless of velocity, and depends on :
mass (m) in kg
local gravity rate (g) (9.81 m/s/s is usual)
tyre to road rolling resistance co-efficient (Crr) (0.03 is a good figure)
Assuming all the tyres are the same, the rolling resistance drag force (f) in Newtons you get from :
f = m * g * Crr

dean barry said:
1) air drag force, which increases (exponentially) with velocity.
An exponential increase would be very unusual, for typical vehicles and the given speed a quadratic dependence is a much better approximation.

Without more details of the vehicle, we cannot tell which influence is more important, and we also don't know what limited the speed before. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that the vehicle will be able to become faster, it is unlikely that its top speed will go down below half of the original value, but everything in between is possible.

FAQ: What is the maximum velocity of object A if its weight is doubled?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed measure how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is: v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. How is velocity measured?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right, then an object moving to the left would have a negative velocity.

Back