What is the meaning of squaring a number

• Thread starter Ross J
  • Start date
In summary, squaring a value turns a single dimension into an area and is often used in equations to represent integrals of physical quantities. This helps in understanding the physical meaning behind certain equations, such as the potential force equation in nuclear physics.
Ross J
Yes, I understand it means a value times itself. I want to know WHY you do it though, what is the physical meaning behind it.

For example in nuclear physics for a potential force,

V = Ze^2 / r

Where e is the electric charge unit, Z is the atomic number, and r is radius. Why is it squared? What is this telling me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Ross J said:
Yes, I understand it means a value times itself.
That's really all there is to it.
I want to know WHY you do it though, what is the physical meaning behind it.

V = Ze^2 / r

Where e is the electric charge unit, Z is the atomic number, and r is radius. Why is it squared? What is this telling me?
Every equation is different and while some share common reasons for doing things, there are many different reasons why an equation might include squaring something. There is no one answer because there really isn't anything to this other than the first answer you already know. It's not any more profound than why sometimes you add, subtract, multiply or divide. Knowing why that equation is what it is doesn't really provide an additional answer to the original question beyond the one you already know.

But the derivation of that equation can be found here:
http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=AtomicNuclear_BohrModelDerivation.xml

In short, you're multiplying the charge of the proton(s) by the charge of the electon.

Thank you, that was more than I could have hoped for

Ross J said:
Yes, I understand it means a value times itself. I want to know WHY you do it though, what is the physical meaning behind it.

V = Ze^2 / r

That question is about how Maths seems to model the Physical World so well. After all, Maths is just 'in our heads'. Considering the nature of Mathematics can make your brain ache.

When you square something, you are turning a single dimension (length) into an area. Many physical quantities are integrals (the area under the curve) of some other quantity. For example, the kinetic energy = ½ m v2 is the integral of force times velocity ∫ F⋅v dt which goes to the fundamental definition of energy.

FAQ: What is the meaning of squaring a number

What does it mean to square a number?

Squaring a number means multiplying it by itself. For example, squaring 5 would be 5 x 5 = 25.

Why is squaring a number important?

Squaring a number is important because it allows us to find the area of a square or the volume of a cube, as well as solve equations and understand mathematical concepts.

What is the difference between squaring a number and raising it to a power?

Squaring a number is a specific case of raising a number to a power, where the power is 2. Squaring a number is the same as raising it to the power of 2.

How does squaring a number relate to finding the length of a side in a square?

Squaring a number is directly related to finding the length of a side in a square because the area of a square is equal to the length of one side squared.

Can negative numbers be squared?

Yes, negative numbers can be squared. When a negative number is squared, the result is always positive. For example, (-3) x (-3) = 9.

Back