What is the meaning of the superscript "+"?

• I
  • Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary, the thread discusses the meaning of the superscript "+" in various notations used in mathematical problems, such as ##\mathbb{R}^+##, ##\mathbb{R}^+_0##, and ##\mathbb{R}^\times##. The notation ##\mathbb{R}^+## can refer to either strictly positive reals or positive reals including 0, depending on the country. However, the notation ##\mathbb{R}^+_0## is not commonly used and may cause confusion. The wiki article cited discusses the different notations used for positive real numbers.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
In the problem statement for problem (10b) in the thread
the following notation is used:
What is the meaning of the superscript "+"?
R Notation.png

Attachments

• R Notation.png
    R Notation.png
    535 bytes · Views: 730
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
In the problem statement for problem (10b) in the thread
the following notation is used:
What is the meaning of the superscript "+"?View attachment 234346
I haven't found the situation where it has been used, but very likely it means ##\mathbb{R}^+=\{\,r\in \mathbb{R}\,|\,r>0\,\}##. In group theory it could also mean the additive group of the real numbers. However, I would rather write the additive group as ##(\mathbb{R},+)##.

Likes Buzz Bloom
##\mathbb{R}^+ := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r \geq 0\}##

This is standard notation in my country.

In case you would also encounter the following notation, you'll know what it means: ##\mathbb{R}^+_0 := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r > 0\}##

Math_QED said:

In case you would also encounter the following notation, you'll know what it means: ##\mathbb{R}^+_0 := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r > 0\}##
I know it the other way around, which I think makes more sense: ##\mathbb{R}^+## for strictly positive reals and ##\mathbb{R}_0^+## if zero is included. Your notation is strange: you positively (include) write + but negatively (exclude) 0. Very strange. I have never seen this before.

Other notations are: ##\mathbb{R}^+=\mathbb{R}_{>0}\; , \;\mathbb{R}^+_0=\mathbb{R}_{\geq 0}\; , \;\mathbb{R}^\times = \mathbb{R}-\{\,0\,\}##.

fresh_42 said:
I know it the other way around, which I think makes more sense: ##\mathbb{R}^+## for strictly positive reals and ##\mathbb{R}_0^+## if zero is included. Your notation is strange: you positively (include) write + but negatively (exclude) 0. Very strange. I have never seen this before.

Other notations are: ##\mathbb{R}^+=\mathbb{R}_{>0}\; , \;\mathbb{R}^+_0=\mathbb{R}_{\geq 0}\; , \;\mathbb{R}^\times = \mathbb{R}-\{\,0\,\}##.

Interesting how things can vary depending on the country!

Math_QED said:

It makes more sense the other way around as you have them.
IOW, this makes more sense:
##\mathbb{R}^+ := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r \gt 0\}##
and ##\mathbb{R}^+_0 := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r \ge 0\}##
I must admit that I've never encountered the latter notation.

Mark44 said:
It makes more sense the other way around as you have them.
IOW, this makes more sense:
##\mathbb{R}^+ := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r \gt 0\}##
and ##\mathbb{R}^+_0 := \{r \in \mathbb{R}\mid r \ge 0\}##
I must admit that I've never encountered the latter notation.

Wikipedia says both notations are possible, but nevertheless it is worth mentioning what certain notation mean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_real_numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi @Math QED:

Thanks for the Wikipedia citation. I did make an effort to find an explanation in Wikipedia, but I did not use a search phrase that found anything useful.

Regards,
Buzz

Mark44 said:
I don't see this notation -- ##\mathbb{R}^+_0## -- anywhere on the page you cited.

The page shows ##\mathbb{R}^+## for 0 included though. No need to discuss trivialities like this though.

Math_QED said:
The page shows ##\mathbb{R}^+## for 0 included though. No need to discuss trivialities like this though.
My response was to what you wrote at the bottom of post #3:
Math_QED said:
Trivial or not, it's not listed in the wiki article you cited.

FAQ: What is the meaning of the superscript "+"?

1. What does the superscript "+" mean in science?

The superscript "+" is commonly used in scientific notation to indicate a positive value. For example, in the number 1.5 x 103, the superscript "+" indicates that the value is positive.

2. How is the superscript "+" used in chemistry?

In chemistry, the superscript "+" is used to represent a cation, or a positively charged ion. This is used to balance out the charge of an ionic compound.

3. Does the superscript "+" have a specific meaning in mathematics?

In mathematics, the superscript "+" can be used in different ways depending on the context. It can represent a positive value, indicate addition, or be used in exponents to show repeated multiplication.

4. Is the superscript "+" used in other fields besides science?

Yes, the superscript "+" is commonly used in other fields such as finance and economics to represent a positive value or increase in a quantity.

5. Can the superscript "+" be used in a different font or style?

Yes, the superscript "+" can be styled differently depending on the font being used. Some fonts may have a smaller or larger superscript "+" compared to others, but the meaning remains the same.

Back