What is the Measurement of Water Column Pressure?

• Thread starter nickberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of "head of water" and its application in water pumps and hydroelectric generators. The term refers to the height or pressure difference of water between two reservoirs and is important in determining the efficiency of different types of turbines. The conversation also touches on the use of the verbs "write" and "take" in different languages, such as British English, in the context of tests.
nickberg
First of all, this is not a homework question. This was a question on a test I wrote on friday for which I cannot find the information in any texts.

The following: "pressure exerted by a water column measured in feet of water or occasionally inches of water" is a good definition of:

1)pressure
2)head of water
3)density

I know that the measurement is something typical of a manometer, but I can't see how it would fit in any of the options above. Your opinions please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi nickberg! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What is "head of water"? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi nickberg! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What is "head of water"? :smile:

It's one of the specifications of a water pump. As I recall, it's either:

1. The height of the water in a tube connected to the pump's output, or
2. The maximum height this water can have, at which the pump's flowrate becomes zero.

A pump provides maximum flow at zero head. But in many situations (such as basement sump pumps), the water is pumped out through a tube which rises above the pump. That water produces a back-pressure on the pump, reducing the water's flow rate. Let the water rise high enough, and the back-pressure reduces the flow to zero. The maximum head should be enough to pump water from the basement floor to above ground level.

For example:
http://www.plumberscrib.com/Products/LIBERTY-Condensate-Pump-15-Head__LCU15.aspx

edit added:
I don't understand what is being asked in post #1. nickberg, you say you wrote the question but do not understand how the question fits any of the options. Since you are the question author, why can't you come up with an answer that makes sense to you? What am I missing here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redbelly98 said:
It's one of the specifications of a water pump. …

What?? :smile:

(why are you answering anyway? how does that help the OP? :confused:)

nickberg, what's "head of water"? :smile:

I believe the answer to the original question is a head of water. This terminology is often used in the context of both pumps and hydroelectric generators to refer to the height/pressure difference of the water between the two reservoirs. It is useful, for example, to be able to say that certain kinds of turbines are more efficient for high head situations and others are better for low head.

Redbelly98 said:
I don't understand what is being asked in post #1. nickberg, you say you wrote the question but do not understand how the question fits any of the options. Since you are the question author, why can't you come up with an answer that makes sense to you? What am I missing here?

I'm guessing maybe English is not his first language (am I right?) and he meant to say a test he took. Since you write down answers when you take a test, native speakers of other languages might possibly use the verb "write" to make "take". Maybe.

Xezlec said:
Since you write down answers when you take a test, native speakers of other languages might possibly use the verb "write" to make "take". Maybe.

Yeah, other languages like British English. :smile:

jtbell said:

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. Well at least I was right about what it meant.

That would be good old standard english. I'm Canadian and here you can "take" a test or "write" a test. They are interchangeable. Just like Americans say "zeee" and we say "zed", it still means the same thing. Thanks for the answers guys, it makes sense

jtbell said:

Wow, just when I thought I understood that language. :smile:

FAQ: What is the Measurement of Water Column Pressure?

What is the measurement of water column pressure?

The measurement of water column pressure refers to the amount of force exerted by a column of water, typically measured in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

How is water column pressure measured?

Water column pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as barometers, manometers, or pressure transducers. These instruments use different technologies and techniques to accurately measure the pressure of water.

What factors affect water column pressure?

The height of the water column, the density of the water, and the force of gravity are all factors that can affect the measurement of water column pressure. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure can also impact the measurement.

What is the significance of measuring water column pressure?

Measuring water column pressure is important for a variety of reasons. It can help determine the depth of bodies of water, such as oceans or lakes. It is also used in various industries, such as oil and gas, to monitor and regulate pressure in pipelines and equipment.

What are some common uses for water column pressure measurements?

Water column pressure measurements are commonly used in the fields of oceanography, meteorology, and hydrology to study and understand the behavior and dynamics of water. They are also used in engineering, agriculture, and other industries to design and monitor systems that involve water pressure.