What Is the Minimum Beam Energy for Proton-Proton Collisions?

In summary, to calculate the minimum beam energy in a proton-proton collider for the p+p→p+p+n0 reaction, we use the conservation of total energy equation and rearrange it to get the beam energy. This includes adding the rest energy of the protons. Thus, the minimum beam energy is 1.212GeV.
J_M_R

Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum beam energy in a proton-proton collider to initiate the p+p→p+p+n0 reaction. The rest energy of the no is 547.3MeV.

Homework Equations

For a head on collision between particles a and b, from conservation of total energy: Ex = Ep + Ep' = 2Ep

so that mx^2c^4 = Ex^2 - px^2c^2 = (2Ep)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Rearranging the above, gives mx = 2Ep/c^2

So using the values I have been provided: Ep = (547.3MeV)/2 = 0.2737Gev

I am not sure if my method is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess "beam energy" means the total energy, including the rest energy of the protons.
For the additional energy: yes it is correct. The lab frame is also the center of mass frame, so both protons simply contribute half of the n0 energy plus their rest energy.

So to get Ep, I am also required to add the rest energy of the two protons?:

Ep = (547.3MeV + 2(938.3MeV))/2 = 1.212GeV

If rest energy of a proton is 938.3Mev.

Right.

Likes J_M_R

Related to What Is the Minimum Beam Energy for Proton-Proton Collisions?

What is the formula for calculating minimum beam energy?

The formula for calculating minimum beam energy is: E = h x f, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the beam.

How do I convert the minimum beam energy into different units?

To convert the minimum beam energy into different units, you can use the conversion factor of 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J. Simply multiply the energy value in eV by this conversion factor to get the energy in joules.

What factors affect the minimum beam energy?

The minimum beam energy is affected by the frequency of the beam and Planck's constant. Additionally, the type of particle being accelerated and any external forces acting on the beam can also impact the minimum energy required.

Why is it important to calculate the minimum beam energy?

Calculating the minimum beam energy is important because it allows scientists to determine the minimum amount of energy needed to create a beam of particles. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing particle accelerators for various experiments and applications.

Can the minimum beam energy be exceeded?

Yes, the minimum beam energy is just the minimum amount of energy needed to create a beam of particles. In many cases, scientists may choose to exceed this energy in order to achieve a certain outcome or to account for any potential energy losses in the beam.