What is the minimum coefficient of friction for a leaning ladder problem?

• Thread starter MM156
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, we have a uniform ladder leaning against a frictionless wall with a painter climbing 70% of the way up. The minimum coefficient of friction can be found by equating the normal and frictional forces and using torque to find the distance from the ground to the point on the ladder where the painter is. The horizontal distance is found using the Pythagorean theorem.
MM156

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder 5 m long (and 12 kg) is leaning against the wall. The height from the ground to the point at which the ladder touches the wall is 4 m. The wall is frictionless but the ground is not. A painter (55kg) climbs 70% of the way up the ladder when it begins to slip. What is the minimum coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

T=-T
T=F dcos@
F friction = F normal * Mu (coefficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured all of the dimension and distances of the triangle. It turns out that the painter traveled 3.5 m along the ladder and is 2.8 m off the ground. The center of mass (when extended to the floor) is 2.1 m away from the point the ladder touches the ground. There is a force coming from the ground Fg which I broke into components Fy and Fx. I know Fx = Fw and that mg + M(painter)g + Fy = 0. I'm having difficulty in determining which of the forces from the ground is the friction force and the normal force. Would Fy be the normal force and Fg the frictional force?

Physics news on Phys.org
MM156 said:
I figured all of the dimension and distances of the triangle. It turns out that the painter traveled 3.5 m along the ladder and is 2.8 m off the ground.
Good.
The center of mass (when extended to the floor) is 2.1 m away from the point the ladder touches the ground.
Recheck that result.
There is a force coming from the ground Fg which I broke into components Fy and Fx. I know Fx = Fw and that mg + M(painter)g + Fy = 0.
Good.
I'm having difficulty in determining which of the forces from the ground is the friction force and the normal force. Would Fy be the normal force and Fg the frictional force?
Fg is the total force of the ground on the ladder. Fy is the normal force; Fx is the frictional force.

Correction: It is 2.1 m from the point on the ground to the painter.
I see now. The Fg and its components were confusing me.
So, I can just add up the mg and M(painter)g to find Fy.
Then use torque and set the point on the ground as the pivot point. mg*2 + Mg*2.1= Fw*3
I didn't do the calculations yet but since Fwall = Fx...it also equals friction.
Ffriction = Fnormal*Mu
Ffriction = Fy*Mu
Mu = Ffriction/Fy

We would be considering two two normals. One form the wall and other from the ground. We would also consider the Mg of ladder and that of the man. Consider the frictional force. Equate them.

Also consider rotational equilibrium

Ffriction = Fnormal*MuThere is a subtle relation between fy, fx and mu.

MM156 said:
Correction: It is 2.1 m from the point on the ground to the painter.
OK. (That's the horizontal distance.)
I see now. The Fg and its components were confusing me.
So, I can just add up the mg and M(painter)g to find Fy.
Right.
Then use torque and set the point on the ground as the pivot point.
Right.
mg*2 + Mg*2.1= Fw*3
You'll have to redo this. The first and last terms have the wrong distance. (Looks like you mixed up vertical and horizontal distances.)
I didn't do the calculations yet but since Fwall = Fx...it also equals friction.
Ffriction = Fnormal*Mu
Ffriction = Fy*Mu
Mu = Ffriction/Fy
OK.

Wouldn't the horizontal distance from the point on the ground to the wall be 3m because it's a 345 triangle? Or maybe it's 4 m because it has to be perpendicular with the radius when it's extended.

MM156 said:
Wouldn't the horizontal distance from the point on the ground to the wall be 3m because it's a 345 triangle?
Exactly.

Think of an imaginary wheel around the pivot point and torques acting perpendicular to the wheel. Total clockwise equals total anticlockwise. seehttp://www.cutescience.com/pp/physics/torque/135Torque_files/v3_document.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the minimum coefficient of friction for a leaning ladder problem?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you solve a torque ladder problem?

To solve a torque ladder problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the ladder. Then, calculate the torque for each force by multiplying the force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. Finally, set up an equation using the principle of torque equilibrium, where the sum of all torques must equal zero. Solve for the unknown variable to find the answer.

3. What is the principle of torque equilibrium?

The principle of torque equilibrium states that for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise torques must be balanced by the counterclockwise torques.

4. How does the length of the ladder affect the torque?

The length of the ladder affects the torque by changing the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The longer the ladder, the greater the distance and therefore, the greater the torque.

5. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque is in the counterclockwise direction, while negative torque is in the clockwise direction. This is based on the convention that counterclockwise rotations are considered positive, while clockwise rotations are considered negative.