What is the Minimum Force Needed to Move a Box Up a Frictionless Ramp?

In summary, the problem involves a 18.6-kg box on a frictionless ramp with a 13.7° slope. The mover is pulling on a rope attached to the box at an angle of 38.8° with the horizontal, and the smallest force F required to move the box up the ramp needs to be determined. Using the equations \sum\ F_{x}=0 and Fx = Wx, and substituting in the values of weight and angle, it was determined that the force required is 47.7196N.
neutron star

Homework Statement

A 18.6-kg box rests on a frictionless ramp with a 13.7° slope. The mover pulls on a rope attached to the box to pull it up the incline. If the rope makes an angle of 38.8° with the horizontal, what is the smallest force F the mover will have to exert to move the box up the ramp?

____ N
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7287/4figure44alt.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum\vec{F}=ma[/tex]

[tex]\sum\vec{F}=0[/tex]

[tex]\sum\ F_{x}=0 => F_{x}-W_{x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\sum\ F_{y}=0[/tex]

I made a graph from the ramp model and found:

a=0
m=18.6 kg
θ=13.7°
σ=38.8°
B=25.1°
F=?

w=mg
[tex]F_{x}=F\cos{B}[/tex]
[tex]W_{x}=W\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]F_{y}=F[/tex][tex]\sin[/tex][tex]B[/tex]
[tex]W_{y}=W\cos\theta[/tex]

I thought 18.6(9.81)sinθ would give me the answer but that wasn't correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
neutron star said:
[tex]\sum\ F_{x}=0 => F_{x}-W_{x}=0[/tex]
Good.

w=mg
[tex]F_{x}=F\cos{B}[/tex]
[tex]W_{x}=W\sin\theta[/tex]
Good.

I thought 18.6(9.81)sinθ would give me the answer but that wasn't correct.
How did you solve for F from the equations above?

Oh, I think I see what I was missing. I need to find w=mg and plug that into Wx and solve right?

-----

Ok, I got [tex]43.2149=Fcos(25.1)[/tex]

Last edited:
Set up the equation Fx = Wx and solve for F. (Using your equations for Fx and Wx.)

Alright, great! I got 43.2149=F*.9056

so 43.2149/.9056 = 47.7196N

: )

FAQ: What is the Minimum Force Needed to Move a Box Up a Frictionless Ramp?

1. What is a force equation?

A force equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the forces acting on an object and the resulting motion of that object. It is typically written in the form of F = ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you determine the direction of a force in a force equation?

The direction of a force in a force equation can be determined by using a coordinate system and assigning positive and negative values to represent different directions. Forces acting in the positive direction are typically represented with a positive sign, while forces acting in the negative direction are represented with a negative sign.

3. What are the units of measurement for force in a force equation?

The standard unit for force in a force equation is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. Other common units for force include pounds (lb) and dynes (dyn).

4. How does mass affect the motion of an object in a force equation?

In a force equation, mass is a measure of an object's inertia, or its resistance to change in motion. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to cause a given acceleration. Therefore, a larger mass will result in a slower acceleration compared to a smaller mass.

5. Can a force equation be used to calculate the motion of an object in all situations?

No, a force equation is based on Newton's second law of motion, which assumes that the forces acting on an object are constant and the object is moving in a straight line at a constant speed. In real-world situations, there may be other factors at play, such as friction and air resistance, that can affect the motion of an object and cannot be accurately represented in a simple force equation.