What is the minimum image-object distance in a single lens system?

In summary, for a single lens system, the smallest image to object distance that can be achieved is when the object distance is equal to the focal length of the lens. This allows for the creation of a real image and enables greater magnification. The equation (1/f)=(1/i)+(1/o) can be used to find the minimum distance by setting the object distance equal to the focal length. Differentiation can also be used to find the minimum value by writing an equation for the total length in terms of 'o' or 'i' and the focal length.
kehler

Homework Statement

For a system with a single lens, what is the smallest image to object distance that you can achieve?

Homework Equations

I guess (1/f)=(1/i)+(1/o)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried drawing a few ray diagrams but didn't seem to get anywhere :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a clue:

"...a simple microscope, which consists of a single convex lens. Magnification is given by the ratio of the image distance, the distance between the lens and the image, and the object distance, the distance between the lens and the specimen. As the object distance decreases, the size of the magnified image increases proportionally. When the object distance reaches the focal plane of the lens, however, the rays exiting the lens emerge parallel, and no real image is created. In order to create a real image, the object distance must be greater than the focal length of the lens. A shorter focal length allows for a shorter distance between the object and the lens, and enables greater magnification."

http://laser.physics.sunysb.edu/~scott/liquid-lens/

Hm thanks. I guess that tells me it has to be greater than f, so the distance must be greater than 2f...
Is there any way to do it by differentiation? Cos that's how minimum values are usually found, right? I would try differentiating (1/f)=(1/i)+(1/o) but I don't know what I'm differentiating with respect to :S

You would write an equation for the total length ie, s=o+i in terms of 'o' or 'i' and f
I think you have to make the assumption that the system is symetric and so i=o.

FAQ: What is the minimum image-object distance in a single lens system?

1. What is a single lens?

A single lens is a curved piece of transparent material, usually glass, that is used to bend and focus light in order to form an image.

2. How does a single lens work?

A single lens works by refracting or bending light as it passes through the curved surface. This bending of light converges or diverges the rays, creating an image.

3. What are the properties of a single lens?

The properties of a single lens include its focal length, which is the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge or diverge. Other properties include the curvature of the lens, its thickness, and its refractive index.

4. How do you calculate the focal length of a single lens?

The focal length of a single lens can be calculated using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula f = R/2, where R is the radius of curvature of the lens.

5. What are some real-world applications of single lenses?

Single lenses have many practical applications, including in cameras, telescopes, microscopes, eyeglasses, and projectors. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and refractometers.