What is the minimum sampling rate for a 3KHz bandwidth audio system?

• Thread starter satchmo05
  • Start date
In summary, the minimum sample rate for an audio system with a 3KHz bandwidth is 6KHz, based on the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. This is the theoretical limit, and in practice, a higher sampling rate is needed.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

What is the minimum sample rate for an audio system with a 3KHz bandwidth?

Homework Equations

This is the problem, I need the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on units, it seems as if the sampling rate is simply 1/bandwidth. Is this correct? It seems too easy of an answer. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
satchmo05 said:

Homework Statement

What is the minimum sample rate for an audio system with a 3KHz bandwidth?

Homework Equations

This is the problem, I need the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on units, it seems as if the sampling rate is simply 1/bandwidth. Is this correct? It seems too easy of an answer. Thanks for the help!

No this is not correct. You are off by at least a factor of 2. Look up the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. This provides the minimum theoretical limit. Then non-ideal factors impose even greater sampling rates.

Ok, so I wiki'ed Nyquist-Shannon theorem and I found the equation: sampling frequency = 2*B, where B = one-sided baseband bandwidth. is this what I want?

Thanks again!

another equation I found was instead of fs, I found fn. What is the difference between the two, and which is applicable?

Bandwidth Equation

I was curious to see if someone knew the equation for the sampling rate, if given a bandwidth frequency. Thank you much for all help.

I have been told that the equation for the sampling rate frequency is equal to 2*bandwidth. Is this the correct formula to use (Nyquist - Shannon sampling theorem), or do I need to use an alternate?

What can you tell us about the Nyquist theorem? When does it apply? what are its limitations?

BTW -- I moved your thread from Advanced Physics to here in Intro Physics. The Advanced Physics forum is for upper-division and graduate-level questions.

Well for starters, Wiki tells me that: the magnitude of the frequency must be greater than the bandwidth frequency. This theorem can only be used for signals that are infinite, and I would assume in my homework problem (since not otherwise stated) that this signal of 3KHz bandwidth is infinite. Even for an idealized situation, this theorem can still be used for relatively easy problems. It also goes on to explain sampling intervals but I do not think this is applicable here since I am asked to find the "sampling rate."

The formula I believe I need to use is sampling frequency > 2*bandwidth. If I'm giving a bandwidth of 3KHz, the sampling frequency would have to be a minimum of 6KHz, correct?!

satchmo05 said:
Well for starters, Wiki tells me that: the magnitude of the frequency must be greater than the bandwidth frequency. This theorem can only be used for signals that are infinite, and I would assume in my homework problem (since not otherwise stated) that this signal of 3KHz bandwidth is infinite. Even for an idealized situation, this theorem can still be used for relatively easy problems. It also goes on to explain sampling intervals but I do not think this is applicable here since I am asked to find the "sampling rate."

The formula I believe I need to use is sampling frequency > 2*bandwidth. If I'm giving a bandwidth of 3KHz, the sampling frequency would have to be a minimum of 6KHz, correct?!

(reposting my response after the PF crash and recovery...)

Yes, I believe that is the correct answer to the question.

satchmo05 said:
another equation I found was instead of fs, I found fn. What is the difference between the two, and which is applicable?

I don't know what fs and fn are. However, your equation 2B is correct. In practice, you need to sample at a higher rate, but this is the theoretical limit from a mathematical point of view.

(Two threads merged. Please do not multiple post the same question.)

Alright, that makes sense elect_eng. Thank you all for your help on this post!

Related to What is the minimum sampling rate for a 3KHz bandwidth audio system?

What is bandwidth and why is it important?

Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that a signal can carry. It is important because it determines the amount of data that can be transmitted over a communication channel, and thus affects the speed and quality of data transfer.

How is bandwidth related to sampling frequency?

Sampling frequency is the number of samples taken per unit of time from an analog signal. The bandwidth of a signal is directly related to the sampling frequency, as increasing the sampling frequency allows for a wider range of frequencies to be captured.

What is the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem?

The Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem states that in order to accurately reconstruct an analog signal, the sampling frequency must be at least twice the bandwidth of the signal. This is also known as the Nyquist rate.

What happens if the sampling frequency is too low?

If the sampling frequency is too low, it can lead to aliasing, which is when different signals are indistinguishable from each other due to the insufficient sampling rate. This can result in distorted or incorrect data being transmitted.

How does bandwidth and sampling frequency affect data storage?

The higher the bandwidth and sampling frequency, the more data that can be transmitted and stored. This is important in applications where large amounts of data need to be transmitted quickly and accurately, such as in telecommunications and digital signal processing.