What is the Minimum Speed for a Diver to Clear a Cliff Ledge?

In summary: Part B) What must the diver's initial speed be in miles per hour? - I know this is a dumb question, but will this be the same as the minimum speed, except in MPH?for part a it seems you had it right but what is 1.50 in the equation x=vx0 *t ? shouldn't it be meters and thus x=1.50? vx0 is what you're looking for.Also it might be a bit useful for you to leave the variables and find an equation that will give you the initial velocity required if all you are given is X and Y distance.
Ecterine
A daring swimmer dives off a cliff with a running horizontal leap, as shown in the figure.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v113/apotheothenai/?action=view&current=1011380A.jpg

Part A) What must the diver's minimum speed be just as she leaves the top of the cliff so that she will miss the ledge at the bottom, which is 1.50m wide and 9.50m below the top of the cliff?

I tried to use y = y0 + vy0*t - 1/2 * g * t^2 and then x = vx0 * t

y = y0 + vy0*t - 1/2 * g * t^2
0 = 9.50 + 0*t - 1/2 * 9.8 * t^2 (plugged stuff in)
0 = 9.50 - 4.9 *t^2 (simplified)
-t^2 = 4.6 (square root of both sides)
t = 2.14

Then,
x = vx0 * t
x = 1.50 * 2.14
x = 3.14

It didn't work... :/
I still don't know what I'm doing in this class.

Part B) What must the diver's initial speed be in miles per hour? - I know this is a dumb question, but will this be the same as the minimum speed, except in MPH?

Physics news on Phys.org
for part a it seems you had it right but what is 1.50 in the equation x=vx0 *t ? shouldn't it be meters and thus x=1.50? vx0 is what you're looking for.

Also it might be a bit useful for you to leave the variables and find an equation that will give you the initial velocity required if all you are given is X and Y distance.
You have it done already just you replaced the variables by the known data right away.

and for part b yes, when you get part a just convert that to mph.

Last edited:
So instead...

1.50 = vx0 * 2.14 (divide both sides by 2.14)

It didn't work... :/

I'm really not good at this

Ecterine said:
A daring swimmer dives off a cliff with a running horizontal leap, as shown in the figure.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v113/apotheothenai/?action=view&current=1011380A.jpg

Part A) What must the diver's minimum speed be just as she leaves the top of the cliff so that she will miss the ledge at the bottom, which is 1.50m wide and 9.50m below the top of the cliff?

I tried to use y = y0 + vy0*t - 1/2 * g * t^2 and then x = vx0 * t

y = y0 + vy0*t - 1/2 * g * t^2
0 = 9.50 + 0*t - 1/2 * 9.8 * t^2 (plugged stuff in)
0 = 9.50 - 4.9 *t^2 (simplified)
-t^2 = 4.6 (square root of both sides)

what happens here? this step isn't right.

Related to What is the Minimum Speed for a Diver to Clear a Cliff Ledge?

1. How does the angle of entry affect the distance traveled by a swimmer?

The angle of entry, also known as the launch angle, determines the direction and distance of the swimmer's trajectory. A shallower angle will result in a shorter distance traveled, while a steeper angle will result in a longer distance traveled.

2. What factors affect the projectile motion of a swimmer?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a swimmer include the angle of entry, the swimmer's initial velocity, the force of gravity, and air resistance.

3. Can a swimmer change their trajectory mid-flight?

Yes, a swimmer can change their trajectory mid-flight by adjusting their body position and movements. This can be seen in the butterfly stroke, where the swimmer uses their arms and legs to change their trajectory.

4. How does the speed of a swimmer affect their projectile motion?

The speed of a swimmer, or their initial velocity, will determine the overall distance traveled. A faster swimmer will have a greater initial velocity and will travel a greater distance compared to a slower swimmer with a lower initial velocity.

5. Is the trajectory of a swimmer affected by the surface of the water?

Yes, the surface of the water can affect the trajectory of a swimmer. Rougher water surfaces, such as waves, can cause the swimmer's trajectory to be more unpredictable and can also create drag, slowing down the swimmer's overall velocity.