What Is the Minimum Speed Needed for a Whirling Ball to Taut a String?

• Thread starter Callen9
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2.0 kg ball attached to two strings of different lengths. The goal is to find the minimum speed necessary for the lower string to be taught, and also the tensions on each string when the ball is moving at a constant speed of 6 m/s. The suggested approach is to draw a free-body diagram and apply Newton's second law, using the equation F=(mv^2)/r for centripetal acceleration. By solving two equations with the tensions as unknowns, the values for the speed and tensions can be determined.
Callen9

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball is attached to a vertical post with two strings, one 2.0 m long and the other 1.0 m long as shown in the figure. If the ball is set whirling in a horizontal circle, what is the minimum speed necessary for the lower string to be taught? If the ball has a constant speed of 6 ms-1, find the tension on each string.

The picture would look something like this

|\
| \
| \ 2m
1.73m | \
| \
| ____O <--- 2kg
| 1m
|

Homework Equations

I know I have to use this equation at some point --> F=(mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've went throw a few sheets of paper already trying to find the answer. If someone could give me a push in the right direction would be great. This is what I know for sure. There are 3 forces at work here, Gravity, Tension of the upper line, Tension of the lower line. After that I get confused as to what to do. If I could get the first step on what to do and why to do it I think I could figure the rest out.

Any help and I would be extremely grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
It screwed up my picture so i'll try this again.

|\
| \
| \
| \
| \
|___O
|
|
|

Try starting out by drawing a free-body diagram on the ball, labeling all forces, and writing out Newton's second law for both the horizontal and the vertical direction. (Remember that centripetal acceleration is v^2/r). Now you can solve the second problem, where the ball is moving at 6 m/s. You'll get 2 equations with the tensions as the 2 unknowns, so you can solve for the unknowns.

For the first problem, what's the tension in the bottom string when the string is barely taught? Use this value in the 2 equations you found before to solve for the speed.

Related to What Is the Minimum Speed Needed for a Whirling Ball to Taut a String?

What is the best way to approach a difficult homework question?

The best way to approach a difficult homework question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by reading the question carefully and identifying any key terms or concepts. Then, brainstorm possible solutions or approaches. It can also be helpful to ask for clarification from your teacher or classmates if you are unsure about any part of the question.

How can I stay motivated while struggling with a challenging homework question?

It can be easy to feel discouraged when facing a difficult homework question. One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of your goals and the importance of completing the assignment. You can also try taking breaks or switching to a different subject for a while to give your mind a rest. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or classmate can provide a fresh perspective and keep you motivated.

What should I do if I am completely stuck on a homework question?

If you find yourself completely stuck on a homework question, it's important to not get overwhelmed or give up. Instead, try approaching the problem from a different angle or using different resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials. You can also try talking through the question with a friend or classmate, as discussing the problem can often lead to new insights and solutions.

How can I manage my time effectively when struggling with a homework question?

When facing a challenging homework question, it's important to manage your time effectively to avoid getting bogged down or falling behind on other assignments. Start by setting a realistic timeline for completing the question, breaking it into smaller chunks and prioritizing the most important parts. You can also try setting a timer or working in short bursts to help stay focused and on track.

When should I seek help with a difficult homework question?

If you have tried multiple approaches and are still struggling with a homework question, it may be time to seek help. This can include asking your teacher or a tutor for assistance, or collaborating with classmates to work through the problem together. It's important to not wait until the last minute to seek help, as it may take some time to fully understand the question and develop a solution.