What is the minimum thickness that would minimize reflection of light

In summary, the minimum thickness that would minimize reflection of light with wavelength 500 nm in air is 2.5
msk172

Homework Statement

A transparent film (n = 1.5) is deposited on a glass lens (n = 1.65) to form a nonreflective coating. What is the minimum thickness that would minimize reflection of light with wavelength 500 nm in air?

Homework Equations

2nt = mλ
n = refractive index of film
t = thickness of film
m = 1, 2, 3, …
λ = light wavelength in vacuum (air)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am understanding how to find values for similar questions using the above equation, but get lost when asked about finding the "minimum thickness". I do not see any "tmin" type equations. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
msk172 said:
2nt = mλ
You have the equation that allows you to determine the various film thicknesses that will produce destructive interference. What's the minimum thickness given by that equation? (Which value of m gives the smallest value of t?)

Doc,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am still trying to work this problem out. Starting on the left side, using nfilm of 1.5 and multiplying it by 2, I get 3t on the left side. The opposite side, I have mλ. λ is specified as 500nm (in air). I am not sure what you are getting at when you ask which value of m gives the smallest value of t? (m obviously being 1, 3, 3, etc.. but how high can this realistically go?).

Perhaps I am getting hung up with not working on coming up with a new λ based on the provided n values. I think the second n value is messing with me (nglass). Does this have any bearing on the solution? Initially I thought yes, however based on your reply, I am starting to feel as though it is not relevant.

msk172 said:
I am not sure what you are getting at when you ask which value of m gives the smallest value of t? (m obviously being 1, 3, 3, etc.. but how high can this realistically go?).
Who cares how high it can go? You want the smallest thickness. :wink:

Solve for t as a function of m.

(Hint: When you realize what you need to do, you'll probably smack yourself.)

Doc Al said:
Who cares how high it can go? You want the smallest thickness. :wink:

Solve for t as a function of m.

(Hint: When you realize what you need to do, you'll probably smack yourself.)

I know, right :-) I always over-think the easy ones and make them the hardest. I'll keep looking at it.

So.. 3t=m500. for tmin, you'd want m to equal 1, no? Thus, 500/3? It doesn't like that answer...

msk172 said:
I think the second n value is messing with me (nglass). Does this have any bearing on the solution? Initially I thought yes, however based on your reply, I am starting to feel as though it is not relevant.
The only relevance of the second index value (for the glass) is how it compares to the index value of the film, since there relative size determines the phase change--or lack thereof--upon reflection at the boundary.

msk172 said:
So.. 3t=m500. for tmin, you'd want m to equal 1, no? Thus, 500/3?
Sounds right to me.
It doesn't like that answer...
What units does it want? That answer is in nm.

Is this Mastering Physics, by any chance? Often it's picky about rounding off.

Heh.. Glad my logic sounds right to you.. I was getting ready to jump off the balcony.. Haha. This is CHIP at Purdue. I'm not sure how rounding could be an issue. Plugged 166.67 in. Affirm on it wanting nm.

msk172 said:
2nt = mλ
D'oh! That's the formula for constructive interference, not destructive. That's the problem.

Derive (or look up) the correct formula.

(Sorry about that! :rolleyes:)

Heh, got it. M=0 obviously, +.5. Thanks for the assistance!

You're welcome. (Sorry for not spotting that earlier. :wink:)

Doc Al said:
You're welcome. (Sorry for not spotting that earlier. :wink:)

Pshh. My fault, actually. No clue how the word "minimize" somehow translated to "constructive" interference in my mind. Hah. Thanks so much for your help.

Related to What is the minimum thickness that would minimize reflection of light

1. What is meant by "minimum thickness" in the context of minimizing reflection of light?

In this context, minimum thickness refers to the thinnest possible thickness of a material that would result in the least amount of reflection of light.

2. How does thickness affect the reflection of light?

The thickness of a material affects the reflection of light because as light passes through a material, it can either be transmitted or reflected. The thicker the material, the more light is likely to be reflected.

3. Is there a specific minimum thickness that applies to all materials?

No, the minimum thickness that would minimize reflection of light varies depending on the material. Different materials have different refractive indices, which affect the way light behaves as it passes through them.

4. Can the minimum thickness be calculated or is it determined experimentally?

The minimum thickness can be calculated using the formula: t = λ / (4 x n), where t is the minimum thickness, λ is the wavelength of light, and n is the refractive index of the material. However, experimental testing may be necessary to confirm the calculated value.

5. Are there any materials that do not follow the minimum thickness rule for minimizing reflection of light?

Yes, there are certain materials, such as metamaterials, that have unique properties that can manipulate light in ways that do not follow the traditional minimum thickness rule. These materials have been engineered to have specific refractive indices and thicknesses that allow for control over the reflection of light.

Back