What is the minimum value of this summation with given constraints?

In summary, finding the minimum of a sum involves finding the lowest possible value that can be obtained by adding together a set of numbers or variables. This is calculated by finding the derivative of the sum and setting it equal to 0, which results in the critical point that can determine the minimum value. The significance of finding the minimum of a sum lies in its application in optimization problems and statistics. Specific techniques for finding the minimum include the first and second derivative tests, the quadratic formula, and the method of Lagrange multipliers, depending on the problem at hand. While the minimum of a sum can be negative, it may also be restricted to only positive values in some cases.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Find the minimum of the sum: \[\sum_{i=1}^{5}x_i\], where $x_i \ge 0$ and $\sum_{i<j}|x_i-x_j| = 1.$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
Find the minimum of the sum: \[\sum_{i=1}^{5}x_i\], where $x_i \ge 0$ and $\sum_{i<j}|x_i-x_j| = 1.$

Hey lfdahl! ;)

Here's my attempt.

WLOG we can reorder any choice of variables, such that $x_1 \ge x_2 \ge x_3 \ge x_4 \ge x_5$.
Then we get:
$$\sum_{i<j}|x_i - x_j| = \sum_{i<j} x_i - x_j = 4x_1 + 2x_2 + 0x_3 - 2 x_4 - 4 x_5 = 1$$
To most effectively minimize $\sum x_i = x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + x_5$, we pick $x_1=\frac 14$ and $x_2=x_3=x_4=x_5=0$.
So the requested minimum is $\frac 14$.

I like Serena said:
Hey lfdahl! ;)

Here's my attempt.

WLOG we can reorder any choice of variables, such that $x_1 \ge x_2 \ge x_3 \ge x_4 \ge x_5$.
Then we get:
$$\sum_{i<j}|x_i - x_j| = \sum_{i<j} x_i - x_j = 4x_1 + 2x_2 + 0x_3 - 2 x_4 - 4 x_5 = 1$$
To most effectively minimize $\sum x_i = x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + x_5$, we pick $x_1=\frac 14$ and $x_2=x_3=x_4=x_5=0$.
So the requested minimum is $\frac 14$.

Thankyou, I like Serena, very much for your answer! :cool:

FAQ: What is the minimum value of this summation with given constraints?

1. What is meant by "finding the minimum of a sum"?

Finding the minimum of a sum refers to finding the lowest possible value that can be obtained by adding together a set of numbers or variables.

2. How is the minimum of a sum calculated?

The minimum of a sum is calculated by finding the derivative of the sum and setting it equal to 0. The resulting value is known as the critical point, which can then be used to determine the minimum value of the sum.

3. What is the significance of finding the minimum of a sum?

Finding the minimum of a sum is important in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as optimization problems, where the goal is to find the most efficient solution. It is also used in statistics to find the minimum value of a dataset.

4. Are there any specific techniques for finding the minimum of a sum?

Yes, there are several techniques for finding the minimum of a sum, including the first and second derivative tests, the quadratic formula, and the method of Lagrange multipliers. The most appropriate technique will depend on the specific problem at hand.

5. Can the minimum of a sum be negative?

Yes, the minimum of a sum can be negative if the sum contains negative terms or if the minimum occurs at a negative value of the variable. However, in some cases, the minimum of a sum may be restricted to only positive values.