What Is the Minimum Velocity Required to Reach a Rising Hot Air Balloon?

In summary, the problem involves a passenger in a hot air balloon and a second person on the ground throwing a camera to the passenger. The minimum velocity for the camera to reach the passenger is found by setting the velocity to zero in the displacement equations and solving for v. This can also be solved using calculus by taking the derivative of the displacement equation and setting it equal to zero.
gerry73191

Homework Statement

A passenger is rising in a hot air balloon at a constant 2m/s. The passenger realizes she forgot her camera. A second person on the ground below the balloon throws the camera straight up when the balloon is 2.5m off the ground. What is the minimum velocity the camera can be thrown with in order to just reach the passenger?

Homework Equations

[tex]y_1(t)=2t+2.5[/tex]
[tex]y_2(t)=vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I figured that at the minimum speed the camera will reach the passenger when its velocity is zero.

So figured out that its velocity is zero when [tex]t=\frac{v}{g}[/tex]

okay then I set the two position equations equal getting [tex]2t+2.5=vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

So then my next step I wasn't sure was valid, but I substituted [tex]\frac{v}{g}[/tex] for t and then solved for v.

I got 9.28 m/s.

I don't know if this answer is correct or not.

Can someone please confirm my methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it.

Question: Is this problem for a course involving calculus?

no its for AP Physics B which is algebra based.

I know Calculus, well two semesters worth. How would I solve it using calc?

I just noticed that the derivative of your y2(t) equation effectively yields your t value, after a little majiggering.

Velocity is the derivative of displacement, therefore, when velocity is zero, your displacement graph will either be a peak or a trough. So when you take the derivative, you just set it equal to zero, and isolate t.

Which is what you did, actually, but I wasn't sure if you knew that's what you were doing, or if you were just using an equation (all the equations are derived from calculus, anyway).

FAQ: What Is the Minimum Velocity Required to Reach a Rising Hot Air Balloon?

1. What is minimum speed kinematics?

Minimum speed kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the movement of objects with the minimum possible speed. It is concerned with the mechanics of objects moving at a constant speed, and how forces affect their motion.

2. How is minimum speed kinematics different from regular kinematics?

Regular kinematics deals with the motion of objects at any speed, while minimum speed kinematics focuses specifically on the motion of objects at the minimum possible speed. It also takes into account the effects of forces on this minimal motion.

3. What are some real-world applications of minimum speed kinematics?

Minimum speed kinematics has many practical applications, such as in robotics, where it is used to control the movement of robots with precision and efficiency. It is also important in the design of vehicles and machinery, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics.

4. How is minimum speed kinematics used in physics experiments?

In physics experiments, minimum speed kinematics is often used to analyze the motion of objects at the minimum possible speed. It allows scientists to understand the effects of forces on these objects and make predictions about their behavior in different conditions.

5. Can minimum speed kinematics be applied to both classical and quantum systems?

Yes, minimum speed kinematics can be applied to both classical and quantum systems. In classical systems, it is used to study the motion of macroscopic objects, while in quantum systems, it is used to analyze the behavior of particles at the minimum possible speed, such as in quantum tunneling.