What Is the Minimum Weight of Block C to Prevent Block A from Sliding?

In summary, the minimum weight of block C to keep block A from sliding is 69 N, and the acceleration of block A when block C is lifted is 3.63 m/s/s.
farleyknight

Homework Statement

In Fig. 6-37, blocks A and B have weights of 51 N and 24 N, respectively. (a) Determine the minimum weight of block C to keep A from sliding if μ_s between A and the table is 0.20. (b) Block C suddenly is lifted off A. What is the acceleration of block A if μk between A and the table is 0.10?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/fig06_35.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started to draw some free body diagrams, but it got rather carried away. There's only a handful of forces involved, so instead, I will analyze block B then block A, giving the forces that are affecting them each.

On block B, there are exactly 2 forces. The first force is the force of gravity, call it F_gB, in a downward, negative y-axis, direction. Opposing this force, is the force of tension, call it T, which has equal magnitude but opposite direction. Then we have

F_gB = T

for both magnitudes.

For block A, we have 4 forces. The first force is the T mentioned earlier, caused by the string. It moves in the positive x-direction. We also have the force of gravity, caused by both block A and block C. For that, we'll denote

F_g = m_A * g + m_C * g = m_A * g + W_C

With W_C being the weight of block C. The normal force F_N is just the opposite of the force of F_g, but point up. The force of friction is moving toward the left, and given the coefficient of friction, we have

F_f = mu_k * F_N = mu_k * (m_A*g + W_C)

Since block A refuses to move, we have

F_net,x = 0 = T - F_f

Calculating T and F_f, we have

T = m_B * g = 24*9.8 = 235.2

F_f = 0.2*(51*9.8 + W_C) = 99.96 + 0.2*W_C

T - F_f = 235.2 - (99.96 + 0.2*W_C)

W_C = 135.24 / 0.2 = 676.2 N

But this is not correct. I've come up with the same answer twice. My feeling is that messed up on the force of gravity on block A, or the normal force on A.. I'm not completely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just consider that block A is being pulled to the right by block B; in order for the system to remain static the frictional force must counter this.

206PiruBlood said:
I would just consider that block A is being pulled to the right by block B; in order for the system to remain static the frictional force must counter this.

That's pretty much what I have done, except that my solution for block C is not correct.. I'm not sure what I've done wrong in my calculations, but I suspect that the normal force is not the combined gravities of A and C..

I believe your error is where you calculated friction. You know that the AC block system needs a frictional force of 24N to counter the 24N block B. What then is the net required normal force to achieve 24N of friction with 0.2 coefficient?

Last edited:
In Fig. 6-37, blocks A and B have weights of 51 N and 24 N, respectively. (a) Determine the minimum weight of block C to keep A from sliding if μ_s between A and the table is 0.20. (b) Block C suddenly is lifted off A. What is the acceleration of block A if μk between A and the table is 0.10?

so f = 51N*.20

f=10.2N

so 24N-10.2N = 13.8N to the right (unbalanced force)

so

13.8N = C * .20

so C = 69N

and F = ma

so 13.8N = 51N * a

so a = .271 m/s/s

bleedblue1234 said:

so f = 51N*.20

f=10.2N

so 24N-10.2N = 13.8N to the right (unbalanced force)

so

13.8N = C * .20

so C = 69N

and F = ma

so 13.8N = 51N * a

so a = .271 m/s/s

Your second answer is wrong(for multiple reasons). Also, you should't just do the problem for him!

farleyknight said:
In Fig. 6-37, blocks A and B have weights of 51 N and 24 N,...

Your approach is valid. The mistake is that you treated the blocks as masses instead of weights.

hotvette said:
Your approach is valid. The mistake is that you treated the blocks as masses instead of weights.

Thank you. I managed to catch that and answer the first question. However, the second question still isn't working out.

If block C is lifted, then the new normal force on a (F_N) simply becomes it's own weight. And then the frictional force is just F_f = mu_k * F_N = 0.1 * 51 = 5.1. Counteracting that against the tension in the cord, we would have

F_net,x = m*a = T - F_f = 24 - 5.1

To find the mass of block A, we simply set 51 = m*g = m*(9.8). So the mass of block A = 5.2. And then

F_net,x = m*a = 5.2*a = 18.9.

So then a = 3.63. But that value isn't working out :(

I have a feeling that the normal force isn't going to be F_g on block A, since the act of lifting might have some kind of upward effect. But I have no idea.

farleyknight said:
F_net,x = m*a = T - F_f = 24 - 5.1

Tension isn't equal to 24 N because the "B" block is now accelerating. If you write out Newton's second law for the block, you'd get mg-T=ma, T=m(g-a).

ideasrule said:
Tension isn't equal to 24 N because the "B" block is now accelerating. If you write out Newton's second law for the block, you'd get mg-T=ma, T=m(g-a).

Thank you for pointing that out. I managed to fix it :)

FAQ: What Is the Minimum Weight of Block C to Prevent Block A from Sliding?

1. How do you find the weight of block C?

The weight of block C can be found by using the formula W = m x g, where W is the weight, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. First, measure the mass of block C using a scale. Then, multiply the mass by the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

2. What is the unit of measurement for weight?

The unit of measurement for weight is typically represented in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). The Newton is the standard unit of measurement in the SI (International System of Units) and is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. Pounds is a unit commonly used in the United States and is defined as the force exerted by gravity on a mass of 1 pound.

3. Can the weight of block C change?

The weight of block C can change if the mass or the acceleration due to gravity changes. For example, if block C is taken to a different planet with a different gravitational pull, the weight would change. However, the mass of block C remains constant unless additional mass is added or removed.

4. How does the weight of block C differ from its mass?

The weight of block C is a measure of the force of gravity acting on the block, while the mass is a measure of the amount of matter in the block. The weight of block C can change depending on the gravitational pull, but the mass remains constant. The weight is also measured in Newtons or pounds, while the mass is measured in kilograms or grams.

5. Can you use a scale to directly measure the weight of block C?

No, a scale cannot directly measure the weight of block C. A scale measures the mass of an object, and then that mass is converted to weight using the formula W = m x g. In order to directly measure the weight of block C, a force-measuring device such as a spring scale or a dynamometer would be needed.

Back