What is the most efficient way to set up a density integral for a conical solid?

In summary, the conversation is about two different problems: finding the mass of a conical solid with a density that is proportional to the distance to the origin, and finding the volume of a solid bounded by certain equations. The conversation also includes discussions on setting up the correct integrals for these problems, including converting to spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Ultimately, the correct integrals are determined to be: For the conical solid: [ itex ] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/4} \int_0^2 \rho^3 d\rho d\phi d\theta [/ itex ] For the bounded solid: \int_0^{2} \int_
1d20
I’ve got two questions about two problems. First I just want to confirm that I’m setting up this density integral properly:

“Find the mass of the conical solid bounded by [itex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex] and [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4[/itex] if the density at any point is proportional to the distance to the origin.

I’m taking that last part to mean that Density = ρ, so when I convert to spherical coordinates and set up the integral I get:

[itex] \int{0_2\pi} \int{0_\pi/4} \int{0_2} ρ^3 dρ d∅ dθ[/itex]

Is that [itex] ρ^3 [/itex] right? Or should it be [itex] (ρ^2 + ρ) [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, next question.

“For the solid bounded by [itex] z = 4 - y^2[/itex], [itex]y = x[/itex], [itex]x = 0[/itex], [itex]z = 0 [/itex] find the volume using a double integral.”

I did this using a triple, but I’m stuck trying to use a double. Converting to cylindrical coordinates, z goes from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex] 4 - r^2sin^2θ [/itex] while θ goes from ∏/4 to ∏/2. All well and good.

But when I set up the integral:

[itex] \int{\pi/2_\pi/4} \int{4 - r^2sin^2θ_0} r dr dθ [/itex]

It’s clear that I’m going to end up with several unintegrated r terms. Gah, what am I missing?

1d20 said:
I’ve got two questions about two problems. First I just want to confirm that I’m setting up this density integral properly:

“Find the mass of the conical solid bounded by [itex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex] and [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4[/itex] if the density at any point is proportional to the distance to the origin.

I’m taking that last part to mean that Density = ρ, so when I convert to spherical coordinates and set up the integral I get:

[ itex ] \int{0_2\pi} \int{0_\pi/4} \int{0_2} ρ^3 dρ d∅ dθ[ /itex ]
Use instead
[ itex ] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/4} \int_0^2 \rho^3 d\rho d\phi d\theta [/ itex ]
to get
[itex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/4} \int_0^2 \rho^3 d\rho d\phi d\theta [/itex]
as far as the LaTeX goes.

Is that [itex] ρ^3 [/itex] right? Or should it be [itex] (ρ^2 + ρ) [/itex]?
Have you thought about what you are doing? The mass of any object with density function [itex]\delta(x,y,z)[/itex] is [itex]\int\int\int \delta(x,y,z)dV[/itex]. I cannot imagine why you would think of adding.

However, you have the differential of volume wrong. For spherical coordinates it is
[tex]\rho^2 sin(\phi) d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Also, saying that the density is proportional to the radius does not mean it is equal to the radius. It means it is equal to some constant times the radius.

1d20 said:
Okay, next question.

“For the solid bounded by [itex] z = 4 - y^2[/itex], [itex]y = x[/itex], [itex]x = 0[/itex], [itex]z = 0 [/itex] find the volume using a double integral.”

I did this using a triple, but I’m stuck trying to use a double. Converting to cylindrical coordinates, z goes from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex] 4 - r^2sin^2θ [/itex] while θ goes from ∏/4 to ∏/2. All well and good.

But when I set up the integral:

[itex] \int{\pi/2_\pi/4} \int{4 - r^2sin^2θ_0} r dr dθ [/itex]

It’s clear that I’m going to end up with several unintegrated r terms. Gah, what am I missing?
I cannot see any good reason to convert to cylindrical coordinates. There is no circular symmetry that woud make cylindrical coordinates simpler. In Cartesian coordinates, the integral for volume would be
[tex]\int_{y= -2}^2\int_{z= 0}^{4- y^2}\int_{x= 0}^y dxdzdy[/tex]

Can you convert that to a double integral?

HallsofIvy said:
Use instead
[ itex ] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/4} \int_0^2 \rho^3 d\rho d\phi d\theta [/ itex ]
Thanks; this forum's code is very frustrating.

HallsofIvy said:
Have you thought about what you are doing?
Of course I've thought about it; that's why I'm here. If I hadn't thought about it, I'd have integrated according to my first instinct. Which in this case happened to be mostly right, but obviously I didn't know that.

HallsofIvy said:
I cannot see any good reason to convert to cylindrical coordinates. There is no circular symmetry that woud make cylindrical coordinates simpler. In Cartesian coordinates, the integral for volume would be
[tex]\int_{y= -2}^2\int_{z= 0}^{4- y^2}\int_{x= 0}^y dxdzdy[/tex]

Can you convert that to a double integral?
I've had no practice with this so let's find out...

[itex] \int_0^{2} \int_0^{y} (4 - y^2) dx dy [/itex]

FAQ: What is the most efficient way to set up a density integral for a conical solid?

What is Triple Density Integration?

Triple Density Integration is a scientific method that involves combining three different types of data or information to gain a more comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon or problem.

How does Triple Density Integration differ from other types of integration?

Triple Density Integration is unique because it combines three different types of data or information, whereas other types of integration may only use one or two sources of data or information.

What are the benefits of using Triple Density Integration?

Using Triple Density Integration can lead to a more accurate and complete understanding of a phenomenon or problem, as it takes into account multiple perspectives and types of data.

What are the challenges of implementing Triple Density Integration?

One of the main challenges of implementing Triple Density Integration is acquiring and integrating the three different types of data or information, as they may come from different sources and have different formats.

In what fields is Triple Density Integration commonly used?

Triple Density Integration has been used in a variety of fields, including environmental science, social sciences, and business, to gain a more holistic understanding of complex issues.