What is the Most Energetic Lyman Line?

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Shift
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the recoil shift for the emission of the most energetic Lyman line from a free atom of hydrogen. The main point is understanding the terminology of "most energetic" and using Planck's constant to calculate the energy of the emitted photon. The conversation also touches on the connection between energy and wavelength/frequency, as well as the role of photons in carrying momentum and the implications of conservation of momentum for an atom emitting a photon.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

part b) Calculate the recoil shift for the emission of the most energetic Lyman line from a free atom of hydrogen.

2. The attempt at a solution

My question isn't a physics one per se, I'm stuck on terminology. What is meant by "the most energetic Lyman line"? I'm use to thinking of Lyman series in terms of frequency, and it doesn't seem to make sense to me to try and calculate the energy from frequency in this case. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Planck's constant. If v is the frequency of the emitted photon, then the energy E=hv, where h is Planck's constant.

Right, which is also E = hc/lambda. I guess my sticking point is in comprehension of what I'm being asked rather that the mathematics or arithmetic.

Do photons carry momentum?

What does conservation of momentum say about what happens to an atom at rest which emits a photon?

atomicpedals said:
E = hc/lambda.
Yes, so "most energetic" is synonymous with "shortest wavelength" or "highest frequency".

Ah, gotcha. The fog has been lifted, thanks for the help!

Related to What is the Most Energetic Lyman Line?

What is recoil shift from a free H atom?

Recoil shift from a free H atom refers to the change in frequency of light emitted or absorbed by a hydrogen atom due to the atom's recoil after emitting or absorbing a photon. This shift is caused by the momentum transferred to the atom during the emission or absorption process.

What causes recoil shift from a free H atom?

The recoil shift from a free H atom is caused by the conservation of momentum. When a hydrogen atom emits or absorbs a photon, it gains or loses momentum, resulting in a change in its velocity and position. This change in momentum leads to a shift in the frequency of the emitted or absorbed light.

How is recoil shift from a free H atom measured?

Recoil shift from a free H atom can be measured using high-precision spectroscopy techniques. By comparing the frequency of light emitted or absorbed by a stationary hydrogen atom to that of a moving hydrogen atom, the amount of recoil shift can be determined.

What is the significance of recoil shift from a free H atom?

Recoil shift from a free H atom is an important phenomenon in the study of atomic physics and quantum mechanics. It helps to confirm the predictions of these theories and allows for the precise measurement of fundamental physical constants, such as the fine structure constant.

Can recoil shift from a free H atom be corrected for?

Yes, the recoil shift from a free H atom can be corrected for by using techniques such as the Lamb-Dicke method. This involves trapping the atom in a small region of space to reduce its motion and minimize the recoil shift. This correction is crucial for high-precision measurements and experiments involving hydrogen atoms.

Back