What is the most fuel efficient Turbojet engine by pass ratio of A380?

In summary, the bypass ratio in a turbojet engine is the comparison between the amount of air that passes through the engine core and the amount that bypasses it. The typical bypass ratio is 5:1, but the A380's turbojet engine has a higher ratio of 8:1, resulting in improved fuel efficiency and reduced noise. However, a higher bypass ratio also increases the size, weight, and cost of the engine, and can limit the maximum speed of the aircraft.
UniverseAlien
With four Rolls-Royce Turbojet engines attached on A380, I wonder, if the optimization of fuel efficiency as its prime design factor/variable? If so, may I know, what it is air by pass ratio?

Physics news on Phys.org

The A 380 engines have a bypass ratio of about 9.
While fuel economy is an important design factor, it is always a compromise with manufacturing cost and reliability equally important. Engines currently go for 5 years between overhauls or more. Maintaining stable performance throughout is a critical requirement.

Huh. . . I raise my thumb up! It comes to near perfect answer. Thank you very much.

Related to What is the most fuel efficient Turbojet engine by pass ratio of A380?

1. What is a bypass ratio in a turbojet engine?

A bypass ratio in a turbojet engine refers to the comparison between the amount of air that passes through the engine core (where combustion occurs) and the amount of air that bypasses the core and goes directly to the exhaust. This ratio is important because it affects the overall efficiency and thrust of the engine.

2. What is the typical bypass ratio of a turbojet engine?

The typical bypass ratio of a turbojet engine is around 5:1. This means that for every 5 units of air that enters the engine, 1 unit goes through the core while the remaining 4 units bypass the core.

3. What is the bypass ratio of the A380's turbojet engine?

The A380's turbojet engine has a bypass ratio of approximately 8:1. This is higher than the typical bypass ratio for a turbojet engine, making it more fuel efficient and quieter.

4. How does a higher bypass ratio improve fuel efficiency?

A higher bypass ratio allows for a larger volume of air to bypass the engine core, resulting in a slower and more efficient burning of fuel. This reduces fuel consumption and increases fuel efficiency.

5. Are there any disadvantages to a higher bypass ratio?

While a higher bypass ratio can improve fuel efficiency, it also increases the size and weight of the engine, making it more expensive to produce. It can also decrease overall engine performance and limit the maximum speed of the aircraft.