What Is the Most Illogical Question You Can Think Of?

• Thread starter FireStorm000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around nonsensical or illogical questions that are humorous and thought-provoking. Some examples include questions about black holes being crunchy, the difference between an apple, and whether chairs would look different if our knees bent the other way. The conversation also touched on the concept of reverse engineering and the first reverse engineer, Ooorge, who attempted to put out fires instead of starting them. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the absurdity and entertainment value of asking nonsensical questions.
FireStorm000
I was trying to come up with a good example today of a question that would make absolutely no sense to ask. So I pose the question to you all: What is the most nonsensical/terribly illogical question you can come up with or find?

Things Like:
Would a black hole be crunchy if I took a bite out of it?
Would I get better french fries If I used the square root of potato instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who created the universe?

Great cartoon!

What's the difference between an apple?

My favorite question is Steven Wright's
What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?

But some classical nonsense ones are:
Which is heavier, red or yellow?
Which is happier, a fork or a spoon?
Two people are walking to the store. Which one got there first?
What do feet eat for breakfast?

I thought this would be good for some laughs :D

"Who created the universe?" is an interesting one though (also quite funny). It's a perfectly valid question that initially makes sense, but that implies the existence of something both before the universe and outside of the universe.

Does God love me?

That's a pretty silly one.

Try this...
zoobyshoe said:
The famous rhetorical quetion, "And the French can only count to four?" is not to be understood as a statement about the French. It's specifically a statement about penguin skinning techniques of the natives of Tierra del Fuego, and generally a statement about reverse engineering. Both of which lead to an implied meta-statement about historical revisionism.

The first reverse engineer was, as we all know, the celebrated Tierra del Fuegan, Ooorge. Ooorge was the first human to set himself the task of reversing the act of fire-making. Instead of making fire he decided to unlock the secret of putting fires out. Before Ooorge everyone in Tierra del Fuego was preoccupied with starting fires with the result that the whole southern tip of South America was on fire. Hence the name, "Tierra del Fuego", which means, "Kangaroo".

Ooorge soon determined that neither water nor dirt burned very well. That being the case, he undertook the obvious course, which was to heap baskets full of mud onto statues of the Fire God, Hottssooo, to quench his fiery spirit. Soon the fires of Tierra del Fuego were nearly all put out, and Ooorge was stoned to death by his fellows. His story lives on in Tierra del Fuegan history as that of, "The Idiot Who Brought Near-Antarctic Freezing Cold Back to Kangaroo".

Why is it so many innovators are not appreciated by penguin skinners?

Related to What Is the Most Illogical Question You Can Think Of?

What is the most nonsensical question?

The answer to this question is subjective, as what may seem nonsensical to one person may make perfect sense to another. However, some commonly cited nonsensical questions include: "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" and "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" These questions are considered nonsensical because they are impossible to answer or have no practical meaning.

Why do people ask nonsensical questions?

People may ask nonsensical questions for a variety of reasons. Some may do it as a joke or to provoke thought and conversation. Others may genuinely be curious about the answer, even if the question itself seems nonsensical. Some individuals may also ask nonsensical questions as a way to express confusion or frustration.

What is the role of nonsensical questions in science?

In science, nonsensical questions can be used as a tool to spark creativity and innovative thinking. By asking questions that seem impossible or nonsensical, scientists can challenge traditional ways of thinking and come up with new perspectives and ideas. Nonsensical questions can also be used to test the limits of our knowledge and understanding of the world.

Can nonsensical questions lead to meaningful discoveries?

While nonsensical questions may seem frivolous, they can sometimes lead to meaningful discoveries. For example, Albert Einstein's famous question "What would happen if I rode a beam of light?" ultimately led to his theory of relativity. Many scientists also use nonsensical questions in brainstorming sessions to generate new ideas and solutions to complex problems.

How do scientists determine if a question is nonsensical?

There is no definitive way to determine if a question is nonsensical, as it can be subjective. However, scientists often use logic and reasoning to evaluate the validity of a question. If a question cannot be answered or has no practical meaning, it may be considered nonsensical. Ultimately, the determination of a question's nonsensical nature may vary depending on the perspective and context of the individual.