What is the Naked Eye Comet in Perseus?

• Thread starter wildman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet Eye
In summary, the comet is named Comet Holmes and is located in the constellation Perseus. It has a fuzzy, star-like appearance to the naked eye, but becomes more pronounced when observed with a telescope. It is currently near opposition, which means the tail is hidden from us.
wildman
Hey guys. If it is clear out in your part of the World, look to the left of Delta and Alpha Perseus. There is a naked eye comet there. Look for a fuzz ball (it doesn't have a tail) that makes a point in a equallateral triangle with delta and alpha. It is beautiful in a telescope.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Its called Comet Holmes and is quite enigmatic.

It suddenly flared up while going away from the Sun.

Probably some underground cavern of dirty ices was weakened by the earlier heating around perihelion and catastrophically collapsed releasing a vast amount of icy dust and gas.

The tail appears to stream directly away from us which is why we only see the spherical coma.

Garth

I stand corrected: "The tail appears to stream directly away from us which is why we only see the spherical coma."

The tail has now begun to show.
I think you can even see the nucleus in this picture.
Garth

Last edited:
I've seen this comet several times now. Last week it looked star-like to the naked eye. But now it looks fuzzy to the naked eye as a result of the coma spreading out. I haven't yet seen a tail. It's overcast tonight, so hopefully tommorow I can get a look.

It is more or less on the meridian, directly overhead at the UK's latitude, at local midnight. (The comet is near opposition, which is why the tail has been hidden away from us.)

Garth

Wow, it's taken this long for a thread on Holmes to be created?

Anyway, spaceweather.com displays wonderful images from all over the world on a daily basis. Some great stuff in there.

I should have paid more attention and tried to get pics last week - it's probably going to be cloudy most of this week.

Why is it green?

Many comets are green/blue because their halos are composed of ionized cyanogen. Comets are pretty complex bodies, and this generalization should not be given much credence.

Here's my first Holmes. It is an RGB of 10 and 15 second exposures. Color seems a bit flat...

That APOD picture is crazy - I don't get any tail or outer shell at all in my pics, though with my field of view, I'm not sure I could.

Attachments

• Holmes-short-RGB.jpg
    Holmes-short-RGB.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Garth said:
I think you can even see the nucleus in this picture.
Garth
I think that bright, offcenter dot in everyone's picture is the nucleus.

It's pretty impressive even from my suburban-SFBay-area location in binoculars. I'm going to haul out the 7" reflector this weekend and have a look at very low power.

Related to What is the Naked Eye Comet in Perseus?

1. What is a naked eye comet in Perseus?

A naked eye comet in Perseus is a comet that can be seen with the naked eye in the constellation of Perseus. This means that it is visible to the unaided eye without the use of telescopes or binoculars.

2. How often does a naked eye comet appear in Perseus?

Naked eye comets in Perseus are not very common and can appear at irregular intervals. There is no set pattern or frequency for their appearance.

3. What causes a naked eye comet to appear in Perseus?

Naked eye comets in Perseus are usually caused by the gravitational pull of the Sun and planets, which can disrupt the orbit of a comet and cause it to enter the inner Solar System where it becomes visible to the naked eye.

4. How can I spot a naked eye comet in Perseus?

The best way to spot a naked eye comet in Perseus is to go to a dark, open area away from city lights and look towards the constellation of Perseus. Use a star chart or a sky map to help you locate the specific area of the constellation where the comet is expected to appear.

5. What can we learn from studying naked eye comets in Perseus?

Studying naked eye comets in Perseus can provide valuable information about the composition and origin of comets, as well as their behavior and movements in the Solar System. It can also give insights into the formation and evolution of our Solar System.