What is the name of the device used to measure ohms?

In summary, Daniel is looking for the name of the device used to measure ohms, which is an ohmmeter. He wants to make sure that it only measures resistance and not other factors. He also mentions the formula for resistance and how an ohmmeter uses Ohm's Law to calculate it. He asks about the effect of a wire's mass on its resistance and is told that it indirectly affects it through the length/area ratio. Daniel then asks about the characteristics of a good conductor, which are determined by its internal structure. Lastly, he clarifies that an ohmmeter requires electricity to take measurements.
Geoffrey F. Miller
What is the name of the device used to measure ohms? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
With a multimeter,you can measure both tension & current,ergo determine resistence...

Daniel.

EDIT:I suspect a tool only for resistence would be called OHMMETER...

I need to be sure that it's called an ohmmeter though. I don't want to introduce to many calculations into my experiment, as it's only supposed to focus on how a wire's length, shape, mass, thickness, and material affect its resistance.

It's not too many calculations,just a division V/I.In case you lack the ohmmeter.

[tex] R=\rho\frac{l}{S} [/tex]

Is this what you're looking for...?

Daniel.

Oh,and one more thing:I'm pretty sure that the ohmmeter used Ohm's law (!) to determine the resistance and doing that by performing the division,insted of you...:wink:

Daniel.

Ahhh...I found an ohmmeter, and yes, it does use Ohm's Law.

Thank you for your help!

Also, do you know how a wire's mass would affect its resistance? I'd assume more massive wires would be less resistant... :confused:

No,not directly.The ratio is (length/area) (times resistivity,see above).So mass is involved indirectly.

Daniel.

Okay. Also, why do electrons move faster and more effeciently through metals than nonmetals? What are the characteristics of a good conductor? Does it have something to do with the way the atoms or molecules of a substance are arranged?

Of course.Internal structure is the key...Quantum Mechanics and Transport Phenomena give all the answers/explanations.

Daniel.

One more thing before I go, does the ohmmeter require electricity to be running through a wire to take its measurements, or does it test the material directly?

Yes, an ohmmeter must be powered.

Related to What is the name of the device used to measure ohms?

1. What is the name of the device used to measure ohms?

The device used to measure ohms is called an ohmmeter. It is also sometimes referred to as a multimeter or a volt-ohm meter (VOM).

2. How does an ohmmeter work?

An ohmmeter measures the electrical resistance of a circuit or component by sending a small amount of current through it and measuring the voltage drop. The resistance is then calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I).

3. Can an ohmmeter measure other units besides ohms?

Yes, an ohmmeter can also measure voltage and current. It typically has multiple settings for different units of measurement, such as volts, ohms, and amps.

4. Is an ohmmeter the same as a continuity tester?

No, an ohmmeter measures resistance while a continuity tester checks for breaks in a circuit. However, some ohmmeters have a continuity testing function.

5. Are there different types of ohmmeters?

Yes, there are analog and digital ohmmeters. Analog ohmmeters use a needle to display the measurement on a scale, while digital ohmmeters have a digital display. There are also handheld and benchtop ohmmeters, with different features and capabilities.