What is the name of this q-state potts-like model?

• Thread starter bohm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, a q-state Potts-like model is a mathematical model used to study systems with discrete states, based on the Potts model originally developed for studying phase transitions in magnetism. The letter q represents the number of states in the model and can be adjusted to study systems with different numbers of states. The model has been applied to a variety of real-world systems, including ferromagnetic materials, disease spread, and social networks. It differs from the Ising model by allowing for more than two states. Ongoing research is focused on better understanding the model and its applications, as well as developing new techniques and exploring connections to other areas of mathematics and physics.
bohm
Dear all,

(all presented here is in classical physics)
I am trying to find existing litterature on a generalization of the q-state potts model. Just to specify, the q-state potts model is:
[tex]
H = \sum_{ij} J_{ij} \delta(\sigma_i, \sigma_j)
[/tex]
Where each [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] is a spin variable that may take [tex]q[/tex] different values, and [tex]J[/tex] is the symmetric interaction matrix where each entry is either 0 or 1.

Let [tex]M[/tex] be a binary symmatric qxq matrix and let [tex]M(u,v)[/tex] be some entry in it. The generalization i want to consider is this:
[tex]
H = \sum_{ij} J_{ij} M(\sigma_i, \sigma_j)
[/tex]

What i want to do is to attempt to perform a cavity approximation (RS approximation) to the generalized potts model to approximate the ground state (in the context of social networks). Similar work has been done on the q-state potts model by Braunstein and a number of smart guys in the context of statistical physics and graph coloring, and Jörg Reichard has worked in the context of social networks. The 'problem' is that in social networks the interactions are often of the nature i has outlined above, and i simply can't find any work on such model; i don't even know if it has a name!
So if some of you guys have seen it before and (especially interesting!) if you know of any mean-field, RS or RSB approximations done on it, i hope you will reply to this thread.

Sincerely!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. The generalization of the q-state potts model that you are describing has been studied in the context of social networks and is known as the Ising model with arbitrary interactions. This model has been extensively studied in statistical physics and has applications in various fields, including social network analysis.

In terms of mean-field, RS, and RSB approximations, there have been several studies on this model. One notable example is the work by Jörg Reichard and colleagues, who have applied the cavity method to this model and obtained results on the phase transition behavior and ground state properties. Other researchers, such as Braunstein and colleagues, have also used the cavity method to study the model in the context of social networks.

Moreover, there have been recent developments in the field of complex networks, where the Ising model with arbitrary interactions has been studied as a tool for understanding the dynamics of social networks. This work has also explored the use of mean-field, RS, and RSB approximations in understanding the behavior of this model.

In summary, the Ising model with arbitrary interactions has been extensively studied in the context of social networks, and there is a significant body of literature on its mean-field, RS, and RSB approximations. I hope this information is helpful to you in your research. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to What is the name of this q-state potts-like model?

What is a q-state Potts-like model?

A q-state Potts-like model is a mathematical model used in statistical mechanics to study the behavior of systems with discrete states. It is based on the Potts model, which was originally developed to study phase transitions in magnetism, but has since been applied to a wide range of systems including social dynamics and computer science.

What is the significance of the letter q in the name of this model?

The letter q represents the number of states that a system can have in the q-state Potts-like model. It is a variable that can be adjusted to study systems with different numbers of states.

What are some real-world applications of the q-state Potts-like model?

The q-state Potts-like model has been used to study a variety of systems, including the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, the spread of diseases in populations, and the formation of social networks. It has also been applied to computer science, such as in the study of cellular automata and neural networks.

How does the q-state Potts-like model differ from the Ising model?

The q-state Potts-like model is a generalization of the Ising model, which only considers systems with two states. The q-state Potts-like model allows for systems with more than two states, making it more applicable to a wider range of systems.

Are there any open problems or ongoing research related to the q-state Potts-like model?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand the behavior of the q-state Potts-like model, including the development of new techniques and algorithms for simulation and analysis. There are also ongoing efforts to apply the model to new systems and to explore its connections to other areas of mathematics and physics.

Back