What is the 'nature of interaction' in a recommendation letter?

In summary, the conversation is about a student being asked by their senior lecturer to provide a skeleton of a reference letter. The student is unsure of what to include in the description and asks for clarification on what is meant by "nature of interaction". The lecturer explains that in a letter of recommendation, it is important to mention the capacity in which they know the student, such as how long they have known them and in what other contexts they have interacted. The student also asks if it is possible to request an invitation for their thesis advisor to be included as a reference for certain programs.
spaghetti3451
One of my senior lecturers has asked me to give me him a skeleton of the reference letter I want him to write describing the nature of our interactions. I am not really sure what to mention in my description. What does he mean when he says 'nature of interaction'?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a letter of recommendation, it is important to state in which capacity the recommender has known the recommendee. Mention how long he/she has known you, how many course they have taught you, in what other contexts you have interacted, etc.

I did not include my thesis advisor in my list of referees for some programs. Is it possible to request the admissions team (by phone) to request an invitation to be sent to his email address?

Related to What is the 'nature of interaction' in a recommendation letter?

1. What does the term "nature of interaction" mean in a recommendation letter?

The "nature of interaction" in a recommendation letter refers to the type of relationship or interaction that the writer has had with the person being recommended. This can include professional, academic, or personal interactions.

2. Why is the nature of interaction important in a recommendation letter?

The nature of interaction is important in a recommendation letter because it provides context and credibility to the writer's assessment of the person being recommended. It helps the reader understand the basis of the writer's opinions and recommendations.

3. How should the nature of interaction be described in a recommendation letter?

The nature of interaction should be described in a clear and specific manner, providing details about the duration, frequency, and quality of the interaction. The writer should also include specific examples or anecdotes to illustrate their points.

4. Can the nature of interaction be negative in a recommendation letter?

Yes, the nature of interaction can be negative in a recommendation letter if the writer has had a negative experience or impression of the person being recommended. However, it is important for the writer to provide specific and constructive feedback rather than simply stating negative opinions.

5. How does the nature of interaction affect the overall strength of a recommendation letter?

The nature of interaction can significantly impact the strength of a recommendation letter. A strong and positive nature of interaction can add credibility and weight to the writer's recommendation, while a weak or negative nature of interaction may weaken the overall impact of the letter.