What Is the Nature of Orbits in an Inverse-Square Potential?

In summary, a particle moving in a potential is a concept in physics where the particle is subject to a force based on its position in a potential energy field. The motion of the particle is described using Newton's second law of motion, and a potential well in the field represents a stable equilibrium point. The shape of the potential energy function directly affects the particle's motion, with different shapes resulting in different types of behavior.
stunner5000pt
a particle of mass m moves in a potential V(r) = gamma/r^2 where the constant gamma >0

a) Sketch an effective potential and discuss the nature of the non zero angular momentum (L not zero) orbits without solving for the equation of the trajectory

i know that [tex] V_{eff} = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/tex]
here [tex] V_{eff} = \frac{1}{r^2} (\gamma + \frac{L^2}{2m}) [/tex]
so it will look like an inverse square graph as in teh digram

Calculate teh equation of the trajectories discuss their shapes and sketch a typical trajectory

one thing that's got me with this question is that i can't solve for r(t) or even r(phi) becuase their formulas involve using E which depends on (dr/dt)^2 and i don't end up getting anything solvable. Have a look
for r(t)
[tex] r(t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{m} (E - V_{eff}(r))} [/tex]
but [tex] E = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{r}^2 + V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/tex]
and that yeilds nothing useful
am i doing something wrong? Is energy supposed to be zero? But why?

there are two more parts which i will post later on. they are related to a and b.

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner,
Your answer to part A looks right. To find the equation of the trajectory, there is a nice trick you can apply. Make the substitution [tex] u=\frac{1}{r} [/tex] and try finding [tex] u(\phi) [/tex]. You will see that the differential equation involving [itex] u [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex] can be solved and you will be able to find [tex] u(\phi) [/tex].

In more detail, since [tex] r=\frac{1}{u} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = -\frac{1}{u^2} \frac{du}{dt} = -\frac{1}{u^2} \frac{du}{d\theta} \frac{d\theta}{dt} [/tex] where [tex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \omega [/tex].

So, substituting for v ([itex] \frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]) in the energy equation you wrote in terms of [itex] \frac{du}{d\theta} [/itex] and [itex] u [/itex], you get

[tex] E = V(u) + \frac{L^2 u^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{-L}{m}\frac{du}{d\theta})^2 [/tex].

Now differentiate this equation with respect to theta. Can you see that [itex] \frac{du}{d\theta} [/itex] will cancel?

The resulting differential equation you get can then be solved which will give you u (and hence r) as a function of theta. Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
Thank You !

alrighty so i had the right idea... the thing is we don't have a textbook for this course and there are so many versioins of the same ofrmula! Anyway here are the ther two questions

If [itex] (r_{m},\phi_{m}) [/itex] are the planbe polar coordiantes of the perigee, evalute phi m (b) and from this calculate the impace parameter b in terms of the angle of scattering theta. Use this result to compute the differential scattering corss setion in terms of gamma, E and theta

The perigee represents a minimum distance between the mass and thecenter of motion. So to simply differentiate phi(r) w.r.t. r and plug that eqal to szero should yield the answer b.
if you could have a look at this thread too that would be awesome too
based on a similar concept
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106913

Last edited:
siddharth said:
stunner,
Your answer to part A looks right. To find the equation of the trajectory, there is a nice trick you can apply. Make the substitution [tex] u=\frac{1}{r} [/tex] and try finding [tex] u(\phi) [/tex]. You will see that the differential equation involving [itex] u [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex] can be solved and you will be able to find [tex] u(\phi) [/tex].

In more detail, since [tex] r=\frac{1}{u} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = -\frac{1}{u^2} \frac{du}{dt} = -\frac{1}{u^2} \frac{du}{d\theta} \frac{d\theta}{dt} [/tex] where [tex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \omega [/tex].

So, substituting for v ([itex] \frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]) in the energy equation you wrote in terms of [itex] \frac{du}{d\theta} [/itex] and [itex] u [/itex], you get

[tex] E = V(u) + \frac{L^2 u^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{-L}{m}\frac{du}{d\theta})^2 [/tex].

Now differentiate this equation with respect to theta. Can you see that [itex] \frac{du}{d\theta} [/itex] will cancel?

The resulting differential equation you get can then be solved which will give you u (and hence r) as a function of theta. Can you take it from here?

first of all I am not quite sure if i am supposd to be using that version of E in this problem
what does [itex] \frac{dE}{d \theta} [/itex] yield that is useful?

also i get a differential equation with (u'')^2 which cnat be solved

stunner5000pt said:
first of all I am not quite sure if i am supposd to be using that version of E in this problem
what does [itex] \frac{dE}{d \theta} [/itex] yield that is useful?
also i get a differential equation with (u'')^2 which cnat be solved

In my post, [tex] \theta [/tex] was the polar angle. So [tex]\frac{dE}{d \theta} [/tex] is 0 because total energy is conserved. I'm pretty sure you don't get a (u'')^2 term. You could post and show where you are stuck.

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Nature of Orbits in an Inverse-Square Potential?

1. What is a particle moving in a potential?

A particle moving in a potential is a concept in physics where a particle is subject to a force that depends on its position in a given potential energy field. The particle will move in response to this force, and its trajectory can be determined by analyzing the potential energy function.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a form of energy that is stored in an object or system. In the case of a particle moving in a potential, the potential energy is a function of the particle's position in the potential energy field. It represents the energy the particle would have if it were in a certain position within the field.

3. How is the motion of a particle in a potential described?

The motion of a particle in a potential is described using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the net force is the gradient of the potential energy function.

4. What is the significance of a potential well in particle motion?

A potential well is a region in the potential energy field where the potential energy is at a minimum. In the context of particle motion, a potential well represents a stable equilibrium point where the particle will tend to stay if it is initially placed there. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems.

5. How does the shape of the potential energy function affect the motion of a particle?

The shape of the potential energy function directly affects the motion of a particle. The gradient of the function determines the force acting on the particle, which in turn determines the particle's acceleration and trajectory. Different shapes of potential energy functions can result in different types of motion, such as oscillatory or chaotic behavior.