What is the Necessary Condition for Equal Density Matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a theorem regarding the generation of the same density matrix by two states, and the necessary condition for this to occur. The conversation also considers the case of normalized states and the equivalence of certain conditions.
Nusc
I have a question regarding the slide:

http://theory.physics.helsinki.fi/~kvanttilaskenta/Lecture3.pdf

On page 18-21 it gives the proof of the theorem that [tex]| \psi_i^{~} \rangle[/tex] and [tex]|\phi_{i}^{~}\rangle[/tex] generate the same density matrix iff [tex]|\psi_{i}^{~}\rangle = \sum_{j} u_{ij} |\phi_{j}^{~}\rangle[/tex] assuming that [tex]| \psi_i^{~}\rangle [/tex] is not necessarily normalized.

What if [tex]| \psi_i^{~}\rangle [/tex] is normalized and [tex]| \phi_i^{~}\rangle[/tex] not independent?

Would the necessary condition for which [tex] p = | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i |= q = | \phi_j \rangle \langle \phi_j | [/tex] require that you have [tex]|\psi_{i}^{~}\rangle = \sum_{j} u_{ij} |\phi_{j}^{~}\rangle[/tex] ?

We know for normalized states psi and phi that [tex] p = | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i |= q = | \phi_j \rangle \langle \phi_j | [/tex] iff [tex] \sqrt{p_{i}} | \psi_i \rangle = \sum_j u_{ij} \sqrt{q_j} | \phi_j \rangle [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
. If this is the case, is this equivalent to saying that |\psi_{i}^{~}\rangle = \sum_{j} u_{ij} |\phi_{j}^{~}\rangle ?

Related to What is the Necessary Condition for Equal Density Matrices?

1. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum state, used to describe the probability of finding a quantum system in a particular state.

2. What does it mean for two density matrices to have equal density?

When two density matrices have equal density, it means that the probabilities of finding a quantum system in any given state are the same for both matrices.

3. What is the necessary condition for two density matrices to have equal density?

The necessary condition for two density matrices to have equal density is that they must have the same eigenvalues.

4. How can the necessary condition for equal density matrices be expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression for the necessary condition for equal density matrices is tr(ρ1) = tr(ρ2), where tr represents the trace operation and ρ1 and ρ2 are the two density matrices in question.

5. What implications does the necessary condition for equal density matrices have in quantum mechanics?

The necessary condition for equal density matrices is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to compare the states of two quantum systems and determine if they are equivalent. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different quantum states and their probabilities.