What Is the Net Ionic Equation for HBr(aq) and NH₃(aq)?

• Thread starter Barfolumu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the net ionic equation for the reaction between HBr(aq) and NH_3(aq) is H^+(aq) + NH_3(aq) --> NH_4^+(aq). The original attempt included incorrect elements and did not accurately represent the reaction.
Barfolumu

Homework Statement

"Write the net ionic equation for the reaction between HBr(aq) and NH_3(aq)"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

H^+(aq) + Br^+(aq) + NH_4^+(aq) + OH^-(aq) --> NH_4Br(aq) + H_2O(l)

[edit]
It's an online application that is a bit finicky, and I was curious if I'm at least heading the right direction, and if I'm not, then where exactly I'm messing up? I also posted this in the Chemistry forum, but then found this one. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Barfolumu said:

Homework Statement

"Write the net ionic equation for the reaction between HBr(aq) and NH_3(aq)"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

H^+(aq) + Br^+(aq) + NH_4^+(aq) + OH^-(aq) --> NH_4Br(aq) + H_2O(l)

[edit]
It's an online application that is a bit finicky, and I was curious if I'm at least heading the right direction, and if I'm not, then where exactly I'm messing up? I also posted this in the Chemistry forum, but then found this one. Thanks in advance.

Check the bolded items.

Thank you very much. The Barium should've remained an ion, and NH_3 is not equivelent to NH_4 + OH, so the net ionic equation is H^+(aq) + NH_3(aq) --> NH_4^+(aq).

FAQ: What Is the Net Ionic Equation for HBr(aq) and NH₃(aq)?

What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only includes the species that actually participate in a reaction, excluding spectator ions.

What is an acid/base reaction?

An acid/base reaction is a type of chemical reaction where an acid donates a proton (H+) to a base, resulting in the formation of a salt and water.

How do you write a net ionic equation for an acid/base reaction?

To write a net ionic equation for an acid/base reaction, first write out the balanced molecular equation. Then, identify the strong acids and bases, and break them down into their respective ions. Finally, cancel out any spectator ions and write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

Why is it important to write a net ionic equation for an acid/base reaction?

Writing a net ionic equation helps to simplify and focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place, rather than including all the spectator ions. It also allows for a better understanding of the products formed.

What are some common examples of acid/base reactions?

Some common examples of acid/base reactions include the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to form water and sodium chloride (NaCl), and the reaction between acetic acid (HC2H3O2) and sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) to form carbon dioxide gas, water, and sodium acetate (NaC2H3O2).

Back