What is the new rotation speed and work done by a mouse on a spinning turntable?

In summary: So it should be:W = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}_{f} - \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}_{i} - \frac{1}{2}I_{table}\omega^{2}_{f}Where I is the mouse's moment of inertia and I_table is the turntable's moment of inertia.
Jar9284

Homework Statement

A turntable of radius 25 cm and rotational inertia 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] is spinning freely at 22.0 rpm about its central axis, with a 19.5-g mouse on its outer edge. The mouse walks from the edge to the center. Find (a) the new rotation speed and (b) the work done by the mouse.

Homework Equations

For part A

[tex]I[/tex](total) = [tex]I[/tex](table) + [tex]I[/tex](mouse)

[tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (.0195)(.25)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = .016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]0 = 22 rpm

[tex]I[/tex](now) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 0 = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]1 = ?

Using conservation of angular momentum

(.016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * (22 rpm) = (0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * [tex]\omega[/tex]1

[tex]\omega[/tex]1 = 23.74 rpm <- I know that's right

Part B

I'm assuming that it will be this

W = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]

With [tex]I[/tex] being the mouse's intertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above. I just want to see that the equation for part B would be the right approach for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jar9284,

Jar9284 said:

Homework Statement

A turntable of radius 25 cm and rotational inertia 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] is spinning freely at 22.0 rpm about its central axis, with a 19.5-g mouse on its outer edge. The mouse walks from the edge to the center. Find (a) the new rotation speed and (b) the work done by the mouse.

Homework Equations

For part A

[tex]I[/tex](total) = [tex]I[/tex](table) + [tex]I[/tex](mouse)

[tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (.0195)(.25)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = .016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]0 = 22 rpm

[tex]I[/tex](now) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 0 = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]1 = ?

Using conservation of angular momentum

(.016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * (22 rpm) = (0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * [tex]\omega[/tex]1

[tex]\omega[/tex]1 = 23.74 rpm <- I know that's right

Part B

I'm assuming that it will be this

W = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]

With [tex]I[/tex] being the mouse's intertia.

I believe you have to account for the turntable's moment of inertia also.

Your approach for part A and B is correct. For part B, you can also use the formula W = \Delta KE = \frac{1}{2}I(\omega_f^2 - \omega_i^2) to calculate the work done by the mouse. Both approaches will give you the same result.

Related to What is the new rotation speed and work done by a mouse on a spinning turntable?

1. What is rotation speed?

Rotation speed is the rate at which an object rotates or spins around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is rotation speed related to work?

Rotation speed and work are directly related. The faster an object rotates, the more work it can do. This is because work is equal to force multiplied by distance, and the faster an object rotates, the more distance it covers in a given time period.

3. Can rotation speed affect the efficiency of a machine?

Yes, rotation speed can greatly affect the efficiency of a machine. Machines are designed to operate at specific rotation speeds, and if the speed is too slow or too fast, the machine may not function properly or may use more energy than necessary.

4. How is rotation speed measured?

Rotation speed can be measured using various tools such as tachometers, strobe lights, or rotary encoders. These tools measure the number of rotations per unit of time and provide an accurate measurement of rotation speed.

5. Can rotation speed be changed?

Yes, rotation speed can be changed by adjusting the input energy or force that is being applied to the object. It can also be changed by changing the size or shape of the object, as well as the distance between the object's axis of rotation and the applied force.