What is the Notation for Adjoints in Matrices?

In summary, to solve the given problem, we can use the definition of adjoint as the transpose and conjugate of a matrix and the fact that det(A) = A^-1 + adj(A). By substituting the given value of det(A) and using the fact that det(A) is equal to 3^5/2, we can determine that the answer is (3^5)/2. However, there may be other definitions of adjoint that may give different results.
ac_nex
Just wondering, how would you solve a problem such as this one:

Suppose A is an 5 x 5 matrix, with det(A) = 2 find the following:

det(A^-1 + adj(A))

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
my first instinct is to multiply by A to see what happens, but I don't know the definition of adj(A). so I don't know what adj(A).A is.then use the fact that det respects products.

isn't adj(A) the adjoint matrix?

if adj means the adjugate, that is the transpose of the matrix of minors (which I guess some people also call the adjoint, but I save that for the Hermitian adjoint), then use the fact that A^-1=adj(A)/det(A)

A*A^-1 = I

det(A*A^-1)=det(I)=5
det(A)*det(A^-1)=5
2*det(A^-1)=5
det(A^-1)=5/2
A*Adj(A) = det(A)*I
det(Adj(A)) = det(A)^(n-1)
det(adj(A)) = 2^4 = 16

cronxeh said:
det(A*A^-1)=det(I)=5
I'm pretty sure that det(1)=1

Don Aman said:
I'm pretty sure that det(1)=1

:redface:

of course!

A^-1 = adj(A)/det(A)
=> adj(A)= det(A)*A^-1
det(A)=2 given
adj(A) = 2A^-1
A^-1 + adj(A) = A^-1 + 2 A^-1
=3 A^-1
det (3A^-1) = 3 det(A^-1) = 3 (det(A))^-1
=3*2^-1
=3/2

How's This

Tough question!

Actually guys, thanks for considering my question, but I am afraid all of your answers are different from what the actual answer is.

It says the answer is (3^5)/2

Any usefull remarks.

Sorry in my earlier solution there was a problem
This is the correct solution

A^-1 = adj(A)/det(A)
=> adj(A)= det(A)*A^-1
det(A)=2 given
adj(A) = 2A^-1
A^-1 + adj(A) = A^-1 + 2 A^-1
=3 A^-1
=>det (3A^-1)
since A is 5*5 matrix
det(3A^-1)=3^5 det(A^-1)
=3^5 (det A)^-1
=3^5 (2)^-1
=3^5/2

enjoy

neo143 says that det (3A^-1) = 3 det(A^-1), which is incorrect. You should be able to fix this easily yourself, though.

A^-1 = (1/2)*adj(A)
A^-1 + adj(A) = (1/2)*adj(A) + adj(A) = (3/2)*adj(A)

det(a*A) = (a^n)*det(A)

so, det(3/2*adj(A)) = (3/2)^5 * det(adj(A))

A^-1 = adj(A)/det(A) , adj(A)=(1/2)*(A^-1) , A*A^-1 = I , det(A*A^-1)=1=det(A)*det(A^-1) , det(A^-1) = 1/2

A^-1 = (1/2)*adj(A)
adj(A) = 2*(A^-1)
det(adj(A)) = (2^5)*(1/2)

det(3/2*adj(A)) = ( (3/2)^5 ) * (( 2^5))/2 = 121.5

Edit: you already got it

Thanks, I already knew how to do it after some serious thinking about neo143's first post. Thanks again.

i think i completely solved it for you, modulo the definition of adj.

i.e. since adj(A).det(A) = A^(-1),

my advice gives det(A)det(A^(-1)+adj(A)) = det(I + 2I) = det(3I) = 3^5.

hence det(A^(-1)+adj(A)) = 3^5/2.

how many definitions does adjoint take?

1) there is the classical adjoint (its exact definition too messy to write) which has the useful relation A^(-1)=Adj(A)/det(A).

2) then there is the definition of adjoint as the transpose and conjugate of a matrix.

These two adjoint operation are different. May i know what notation is usually used? Adj?

FAQ: What is the Notation for Adjoints in Matrices?

1. What are determinants and adjoints?

Determinants and adjoints are mathematical concepts that are used to manipulate matrices. Determinants are scalar values that are calculated from a square matrix, while adjoints are matrices that are used to find the inverse of a matrix.

2. How are determinants and adjoints related?

Determinants and adjoints are closely related, as the adjoint of a matrix is used to find the determinant of that matrix. The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of the matrix and its adjoint.

3. What is the importance of determinants and adjoints in linear algebra?

Determinants and adjoints are important in linear algebra because they are used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and determine the rank and invertibility of a matrix. They also have applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by using a specific formula depending on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is calculated by subtracting the product of the two diagonal elements from the product of the two off-diagonal elements. For larger matrices, the determinant can be calculated using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or cofactor expansion.

5. Can determinants and adjoints be calculated for all types of matrices?

No, determinants and adjoints can only be calculated for square matrices. A square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, which is necessary for calculating the determinant and finding the adjoint. Non-square matrices do not have determinants or adjoints.