What is the nth derivative of this equation?

• I
  • Thread starter Neothilic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the nth derivative of the characteristic function for the Cauchy Distribution is not defined at t=0. However, by taking the limit as t approaches 0, the even moments can be calculated.
Neothilic
TL;DR Summary
What is the solution to the nth derivative of this characteristic function?
How would I find the ##nth## derivative of this? As as derivative of ##-|t|## is ##-\frac{t}{|t|}##.
## \langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|} \vert_{t=0} ##

This is the characteristic function of the Cauchy Distribution. So for when ##t=0##, ##e^{-|t|}=1##; when ##t<0##, ##e^{-|t|}=e^{t}##; when ##t>0##, ##e^{-|t|}=e^{-t}##. So I could just substitute the value for when ##t=0##. Correct?

As;
## \langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|} \vert_{t=0} = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} 1##

Therefore;
## \langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|} \vert_{t=0}=i^{-n}0##

So;
## \langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|} \vert_{t=0}=0##

Therefore, the Cauchy Distribution has no moments.

I know the result is true, is my solution correct though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference between the moments being zero and them not being well-defined; you make both claims. You start out in the right direction by noting the absolute value makes things more difficult. However, your calculation is not correct. The evaluation at ##t=0## comes after differentiation. Have you tried sketching the characteristic function and looking at its behavior in the region of ##t=0##?

Haborix said:
There is a difference between the moments being zero and them not being well-defined; you make both claims. You start out in the right direction by noting the absolute value makes things more difficult. However, your calculation is not correct. The evaluation at ##t=0## comes after differentiation. Have you tried sketching the characteristic function and looking at its behavior in the region of ##t=0##?

So I sketches graph, and it is discontinuous at ##t=0##. This means it is not differentiable for any ##n##. As ##C(t)## is not differentiable for any ##n##, and it is part of the equation for the moments of the Cauchy Distribution, the Cauchy Distribution has no moments that exist for any ##n##. Is that better?

Likes Haborix
That's the idea. If you were inclined to try and formalize it in equations, you could take the derivative of the function on either side of zero and show the discontinuity as you took the limit from the right and the left.

Haborix said:
That's the idea. If you were inclined to try and formalize it in equations, you could take the derivative of the function on either side of zero and show the discontinuity as you took the limit from the right and the left.
I have done some research and have gotten to this point;

## \lim_{t \to 0} C(t)= \frac{C(t_0)-C(t)}{t_0-t} ##

## \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{+})-C(t)}{0^{+}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-|t|}}{t} (1)##

## \lim_{t \to 0^{-}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{-})-C(t)}{0^{-}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-|t|}}{-t} (2)##

As ##(1)## does not equate to ##(2)##, ##C(t)## is discontinuous. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Neothilic said:
I have done some research and have gotten to this point;

## \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{+})-C(t)}{0^{+}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-|t|}}{t} (1)##

## \lim_{t \to 0^{-}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{-})-C(t)}{0^{-}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-|t|}}{-t} (2)##

As ##(1)## does not equate to ##(2)##, ##C(t)## is discontinuous. Is this correct?
Why not use:
$$e^{-|t|} = e^{-t} \ (t > 0) \ \ \text{and} \ \ e^{-|t|} = e^{t} \ (t < 0)$$

PeroK said:
Why not use:
$$e^{-|t|} = e^{-t} \ (t > 0) \ \ \text{and} \ \ e^{-|t|} = e^{t} \ (t < 0)$$

That's a great point!

## \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{+})-C(t)}{0^{+}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-t}}{t} (1)##

## \lim_{t \to 0^{-}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{-})-C(t)}{0^{-}-t}=\frac{1-e^{t}}{t} (2)##

That looks better?

Neothilic said:
That's a great point!

## \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{+})-C(t)}{0^{+}-t}=\frac{1-e^{-t}}{t} (1)##

## \lim_{t \to 0^{-}} C(t)= \frac{C(0^{-})-C(t)}{0^{-}-t}=\frac{1-e^{t}}{t} (2)##

That looks better?
The original function ##e^{-|t|}## is continuous but not differentiable at ##t = 0##. The best you can do is differentiate it separately for ##t > 0## and ##t < 0##. You don't need to mess about with limits for this.

I must admit I don't know what you are supposed to do to calcualte the moments. Technically, only the zeroth moment exists. Beyond that the nth derivatives do not exist. But, for the even derivatives you have equal limits as ##t \rightarrow 0^{\pm}##. Perhaps the even moments are taken to exist in that case? I.e. if you take the limit ##t \rightarrow 0## instead of "evaluated at ##t = 0##".

Neothilic said:
Summary:: What is the solution to the nth derivative of this characteristic function?

How would I find the ##nth## derivative of this? As as derivative of ##-|t|## is ##-\frac{t}{|t|}##.
## \langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|} \vert_{t=0} ##

Technically, these derivatives are not defined at ##t = 0##. But, if you calculate instead:
$$\langle X^{n} \rangle = i^{-n}\lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{d^{n}}{dt^n} e^{-|t|}$$
Then the even moments exist.

PeroK said:
The original function ##e^{-|t|}## is continuous but not differentiable at ##t = 0##. The best you can do is differentiate it separately for ##t > 0## and ##t < 0##. You don't need to mess about with limits for this.

I must admit I don't know what you are supposed to do to calculate the moments. Technically, only the zeroth moment exists. Beyond that the nth derivatives do not exist. But, for the even derivatives you have equal limits as ##t \rightarrow 0^{\pm}##. Perhaps the even moments are taken to exist in that case? I.e. if you take the limit ##t \rightarrow 0## instead of "evaluated at ##t = 0##".

What I want to do, is to prove the Cauchy Distribution has no moments. To do this, I want to use the characteristic function. So firstly, I have drawn the graph of the characteristic function to show it is discontinuous at ##t=0## so meaning it cannot be differentiated at ##t=0##. Now I want to prove this using actually maths instead of intuitively. Which is why I was trying to show it using limits.

As you have correctly said, ##C(t)## is not differentiable at ##t=0##. So I want to show that mathematically, instead of just stating it.

Edit: I think I have found a video, explaining what it is I need to do.

Last edited:
How much real analysis do you know?

Neothilic said:
That's a great point!

That looks better?
These don't look right.
For ##C## to be differentiable at ##0## you need both limits to exist and:
$$\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \to 0^-} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t}$$
Where, for example:
$$ \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t}=\lim_{t \to 0^{+}}\frac{e^{-t}- 1}{t}$$
If you want a quick proof, then use a Taylor series.

PeroK said:
These don't look right.
$$\lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \to 0^-} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t}$$
Where, for example:
$$ \lim_{t \to 0^{+}} \frac{C(t)-C(0)}{t}=\lim_{t \to 0^{+}}\frac{e^{-t}- 1}{t}$$
I agree it is wrong.

PeroK said:
How much real analysis do you know?
I have studied a module on it at university a couple years ago, but I can't remember a lot off hand though.

Neothilic said:
I have studied a module on it at university a couple years ago, but I can't remember a lot off hand though.
Just use Taylor series. Or draw a graph of the function!

PeroK said:
These don't look right.
Where, for example:

Let us try and find the derivative of ##e^{-|t|}## at ##t=0##. As we know;

##\frac{d}{dy}(e^{y})=\frac{d}{dy}(y)e^{y}##

Therefore;

##\frac{d}{dy}(e^{-|t|})=\frac{d}{dy}(-|t|)e^{-|t|}##

Let us try and find;

##\frac{d}{dy}(-|t|)##

##\frac{d}{dy}(-|t|)=-\lim_{\delta t \to 0} \frac{(|0+\delta t)+0|)-|0|}{\delta t}=\lim_{\delta t \to 0} \frac{(-|t|)}{\delta t}##

##\lim_{\delta t \to 0^{-}} \frac{(-|t|)}{\delta t}=-\frac{(|-NUMBER|)}{-NUMBER}=\frac{NUMBER}{NUMBER}=1 (1)##

##\lim_{\delta t \to 0^{+}} \frac{(-|t|)}{\delta t}=-\frac{(|NUMBER|)}{NUMBER}=-\frac{NUMBER}{NUMBER}=-1 (2)##

As ##(1)## does not equal ##(2)##, ##-|t|## is not differentiable at ##t=0##, which means ##e^{-|t|}## is not differentiable at ##t=0##.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Here is the approach I intended. Let ##f(t) = e^{-|t|}##. For ##t < 0## we have ##f(t) = e^t = 1 + t + \frac{t^2}{2!} \dots##, and for ##t > 0## we have ##f(t) = e^{-t} = 1 - t + \frac{t^2}{2!}##. Hence:
$$\lim_{t \rightarrow 0^-}\frac{f(t) - f(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0^-}\frac{t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots}{t} = 1$$
$$\lim_{t \rightarrow 0^+}\frac{f(t) - f(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0^+}\frac{-t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots}{t} = -1$$
The right and left limits are different at ##t=0##, hence the function is not differentiable at ##t = 0##.

• Skeptical
Likes Neothilic
PeroK said:
Here is the approach I intended. Let ##f(t) = e^{-|t|}##. For ##t < 0## we have ##f(t) = e^t = 1 + t + \frac{t^2}{2!} \dots##, and for ##t > 0## we have ##f(t) = e^{-t} = 1 - t + \frac{t^2}{2!}##. Hence:
$$\lim_{t \rightarrow 0^-}\frac{f(t) - f(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0^-}\frac{t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots}{t} = 1$$
$$\lim_{t \rightarrow 0^+}\frac{f(t) - f(0)}{t} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0^+}\frac{-t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots}{t} = -1$$
The right and left limits are different at ##t=0##, hence the function is not differentiable at ##t = 0##.

I see, well this way is more efficient than the way I proposed. I also read on wiki, the reason why the Cauchy Lorentz distribution has no moment is because the characteristic function has no Taylor expansion about ##t=0##. I am skeptical about you way, but you seem confident.

Neothilic said:
I see, well this way is more efficient than the way I proposed. I also read on wiki, the reason why the Cauchy Lorentz distribution has no moment is because the characteristic function has no Taylor expansion about ##t=0##. I am skeptical about you way, but you seem confident.
I didn't Taylor expand ##f## about ##t = 0##. I took the Taylor expansion of ##e^t## and ##e^{-t}## in the separate regions where these are valid representations of ##f##.

The fact that these Taylor expansion are different for ##t > 0## and ##t < 0## shows that ##f## has no Taylor expansion at ##t =0##.

Likes Neothilic
PeroK said:
I didn't Taylor expand ##f## about ##t = 0##. I took the Taylor expansion of ##e^t## and ##e^{-t}## in the separate regions where these are valid representations of ##f##.

The fact that these Taylor expansion are different for ##t > 0## and ##t < 0## shows that ##f## has no Taylor expansion at ##t =0##.
Yes, my mistake. I should have re-evaluated my reply. I appreciate the help. So, do you think the solution you proposed has more validity than the solution I proposed?

Neothilic said:
Yes, my mistake. I should have re-evaluated my reply. I appreciate the help. So, do you think the solution you proposed has more validity than the solution I proposed?
I don't really understand quite what you did!

PeroK said:
I don't really understand quite what you did!
The video that I linked earlier in the thread, I followed exactly what that teacher did!

Neothilic said:
The video that I linked earlier in the thread, I followed exactly what that teacher did!
He's not doing an exponential. For example:

Neothilic said:
##\frac{d}{dy}(e^{-|t|})=\frac{d}{dy}(-|t|)e^{-|t|}##

Leaving aside the confusion between ##y## and ##t##, this is not valid for ##t = 0##. You can't differentiate ##e^{-|t|}## at ##t = 0##, when you are trying to prove it's not differentiable at that point!

What you could have done was:

If ##e^{-|t|}## is differentiable at ##t = 0##, then ##\ln(e^{-|t|}) = -|t|## must be differentiable at ##t = 0## (as ##\ln## is differentiable at ##1##). But ##-|t|## is not differentiable at ##t = 0##, hence neither is ##e^{-|t|}##. That would be a neat way to prove it.

PeroK said:
He's not doing an exponential. For example:
Leaving aside the confusion between ##y## and ##t##, this is not valid for ##t = 0##. You can't differentiate ##e^{-|t|}## at ##t = 0##, when you are trying to prove it's not differentiable at that point!

What you could have done was:

If ##e^{-|t|}## is differentiable at ##t = 0##, then ##\ln(e^{-|t|}) = -|t|## must be differentiable at ##t = 0## (as ##\ln## is differentiable at ##1##). But ##-|t|## is not differentiable at ##t = 0##, hence neither is ##e^{-|t|}##. That would be a neat way to prove it.
I understand what you mean that I can't show it's not differentiable in the way I did it. I think the way you did it previously is suffice. As I like the use of ##e^{-t}## and ##e^{t}##.

Likes PeroK

FAQ: What is the nth derivative of this equation?

What is the nth derivative of a polynomial equation?

The nth derivative of a polynomial equation can be found by using the power rule. Each time you take a derivative, the exponent of the variable decreases by 1 and the coefficient is multiplied by that exponent. The nth derivative will have a coefficient of n! (n factorial) multiplied by the original coefficient and the variable will have an exponent of (original exponent - n).

How do you find the nth derivative of a trigonometric equation?

The nth derivative of a trigonometric equation can be found using the trigonometric identities and the chain rule. Each time you take a derivative, the angle inside the trigonometric function will decrease by 1 and the coefficient will be multiplied by the derivative of the inside function. The nth derivative will have a coefficient of (original coefficient) multiplied by (the derivative of the inside function)^n.

Can the nth derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the nth derivative of a function can be negative. This means that the function is concave down at that point. The sign of the nth derivative can change multiple times within the same function, indicating changes in the concavity of the function.

What is the significance of the nth derivative in calculus?

The nth derivative is significant in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. The first derivative tells us about the slope of the function, the second derivative tells us about the concavity, and the nth derivative tells us about the rate of change of the (n-1)th derivative. It also helps us find the maximum and minimum points of a function.

How do you use the nth derivative to find the Taylor series of a function?

The Taylor series of a function can be found by using the nth derivative of the function at a specific point. The general formula for the nth term in a Taylor series is (f^(n)(a)/n!)*(x-a)^n, where f^(n)(a) is the nth derivative of the function at the point a. By taking the infinite sum of these terms, we can approximate the original function at that point.