What is the odd inequality sign I saw in my lecture notes?

In summary, The symbol in question is likely "is not equal to" and can be represented by \gtrless or \gtreqless. It is used to represent inequalities in mathematical expressions and is not commonly used.
spaghetti3451
I saw this rather odd symbol of the the greater sign on top of the less sign in my lecture notes. I am wondering if there is a name for this symbol and if signifies 'equal to' as well?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
<
>
?

I would interpret that as "is not equal to".

Is it any of these?

[tex]\lessgtr, \quad
\gtrless,\quad
\lesseqgtr,\quad
\gtreqless,\quad
\lesseqqgtr,\quad
\gtreqqless[/tex]

Dr. Seafood said:
Is it any of these?

[tex]\lessgtr, \quad
\gtrless,\quad
\lesseqgtr,\quad
\gtreqless,\quad
\lesseqqgtr,\quad
\gtreqqless[/tex]

I'd say it'd probably be the second one.

Again, my best guess is "is not equal to".

It's an abbreviation of < or >, the alternatives being explained or elaborated on nearby.

You could write: a≶b≶c, which means that either a<b<c or a>b>c.
Or you could write something like: |x|=±x if x≷0.
The upper level is one case, the lower level is the other case.

It is rarely used. Different cases are usually put on different lines with braced conditions.

FAQ: What is the odd inequality sign I saw in my lecture notes?

1. What is an odd inequality sign?

An odd inequality sign is a symbol used in mathematics to compare two values and indicate which is larger or smaller. It looks like a sideways V with one leg longer than the other.

2. How is an odd inequality sign different from a regular inequality sign?

An odd inequality sign is different from a regular inequality sign because it is specifically used to compare two odd numbers, while a regular inequality sign can be used to compare any two numbers.

3. What does it mean if an odd inequality sign is pointing to the left?

If an odd inequality sign is pointing to the left, it means that the value on the left side is smaller than the value on the right side. For example, 3 < 5 means that 3 is smaller than 5.

4. Is an odd inequality sign used in other areas besides mathematics?

No, an odd inequality sign is primarily used in mathematics to compare numbers. It is not commonly used in other areas or subjects.

5. Can an odd inequality sign be used to compare more than two values?

Yes, an odd inequality sign can be used to compare more than two values. For example, 3 < 5 < 7 means that 3 is smaller than 5 and 5 is smaller than 7.