What is the oldest thing you have in your house?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary, Dave has some things that are older than he is, including a cassette player from his aunt from the 1980s, a can of garbanzo beans that expired in 1963, and an "Raketa" vacuum cleaner from the 1970s.
hbk4894
the oldest thing i have is a cook book that i have had since 1990/2000 , also have school reports from primary school so 2001/2002 , also have my high school reports from 2004 and a cook book they give you in high school from 2004.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it is me.

Likes Lisa!
A fossil that must be in the 100 million year range.

Likes epenguin
dipole said:
A fossil that must be in the 100 million year range.
I'll see your fossil and raise you all the matter of everything I own, which is probably as old as the Universe itself.

I have an 1851 edition of a school boys Latin-English dictionary.

gleem said:
I'm pretty sure it is me.
Yep, me too

I have some Roman coins.

Likes DennisN and davenn
Probably some really cool rocks that I have picked up off the ground or dug up from a nearby railroad cut: North Carolina citrines, smoky quartz, rose quartz, some really pretty granites and some other really interesting rocks. Mostly metamorphic.

diogenesNY

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I'll see your fossil and raise you all the matter of everything I own, which is probably as old as the Universe itself.

I could have sworn I had some hydrogen atoms lying around ... Of course, it is difficult to tell if they are really that old or if they are just recent copies from cosmic rays ...

Likes BobG, dlgoff and davenn
House: 180 years old
Fabric of house: granite stones, 400 Ma
Content natural: Lewisian gneiss samples, approximately 2,500 Ma
Content manufactured: the 10th Edition of Darwin's Journal During the Voyage of H.M.S. Beagle Round the World, and The French Revolution by Thomas Carlyle, both published in 1891.

I have a few things that are older than I am:
  • A book on differential equations with a copyright date of 1897 (1904 printing)
  • A Boy Scout handbook from about 1920
  • An "regulator"-style clock that my wife got from her father - no telling how old that thing is
My oldest motorcycle is a bit younger than I am, 1946 Harley Davidson WL

I'm sure I have some US coins that are almost 100 years old.

I have some old coins, but other than those, I'm the oldest thing in the house - well except for the house itself.

I'm afraid for me, it's just cockroaches. I mean, not these in particular, but they've been around for 320 million years or so!

Being every thing made of atoms, everything of house would extend back to the existence of Earth which is origin of every matter.. Even before the Earth it was the part of sun..

I have some native American stone artifacts. Spear point and some arrowheads. They are tucked away in a sturdy safe - not that thieves would have any clue what they are.

wolram said:
I have some Roman coins.

yup likewise :smile:
will see if I can "dig" them up for a photo

here is one of the older fossils from my collection
A trilobite from ~ 350 Ma

2015_04_06_3544sm.jpg

Dave

Likes DennisN and dlgoff
I have a 3 cent Victoria coin from 1889, but I can't find any information about it.

Likes davenn
ahhh found them :)

2015_04_06_3547sm.jpg

Likes Cruz Martinez, DennisN and Greg Bernhardt
The oldest thing I have in our house is a cassette player from my aunt during 80's.

Likes DennisN and dlgoff
I have a can of garbanzo beans in my pantry that expired in 1963 (have no idea when it was bought).

Funny thing is I've always wondered why I always seem to have a can of garbanzo beans in every house I've lived in when I don't even know what they're used for. All this time, it must have been the same can.

BobG said:
I have a can of garbanzo beans in my pantry that expired in 1963
BobG said:
I don't even know what they're used for.

Garbanzo is just Spanish for chickpeas. They can be used in soups, stews, or salads. You can also make hummus from them. I would say this calls for an experiment!

An old "Raketa" vacuum cleaner from the 70s if I'm not mistaken. Made in CCCP :D

After subtracting the rocks and coins and prints of old photos* (who doesn't have them?), I didn't think I had anything interesting, but then I remembered the next oldest is probably the nightstand my dad made in junior-high woodshop. He'll be 71 next week.

*Still, the photo of my great-great-great grandparents and family hiking in full 3-piece suits and dresses is pretty cool.

I'd like to see pics of some of the goodies.

Likes DennisN
dlgoff said:
I'd like to see pics of some of the goodies.
Me too :smile:. E.g. Roman coins would be nice to see... and old books/equipment. Pictures, please... :woot:
EDIT: Oops, sorry, I just noticed some have posted photos already in the thread, very nice, very nice!
EDIT 2: I like history, but I don't think I have any remarkably old stuff lying around, but I will think about it, and post a picture of the oldest thing I've got. I guess it might be a stamp or some book, we'll see, I have to think about it for a while...

Last edited:
Ok, had a look in the archives :biggrin:. The oldest (manufactured) thing I've got is probably this stamp, a four schilling banco blue, from 1855 (and part of the first issued stamp set in Sweden). The picture reveals that it was stamped in 1858 (stamp is upside down):

16877059399_be60f6248d_o.jpg

It's not worth a fortune, less than $100 if I remember correctly. Regretfully it's not the famous Treskilling Yellow :smile: (but it is from the same set of stamps).

I also looked through my books, and the oldest book(s) I've got is coincidentally a set of six history books (Swedish history), printed in 1877. They are in pretty good shape. I bought them (a real bargain) because I liked how they look. Here they are (and the bottommost photo shows they were printed in Stockholm 1877):

17062500301_54be2f6693_o.jpg

As a sidenote I know that the history book set is worth more than the stamp above (but not a fortune).

Likes davenn, dlgoff, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
I'm fairly sure the oldest thing in my house is a rather nice piece of Banded Iron Formation that is about 2.4 billion years old. (It's hard to get a good date, but BIF's were abundant around the time of the great oxygenation event).

(Banded iron formation is just about the coolest rock out there, IMHO).

Likes dlgoff
I think probably photos from around 1930 I think :)

A sidenote to my previous post: While I was looking through my "archives" I found some science memorabilia from the 60s and 70s, I thought I might share another two photos I just took, since some thread readers may be interested in both science and history:
  • First Man On The Moon/Moon Landing, First Day Cover (USA, 1969) - http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7620/16879655709_59fea3138f_b.jpg
  • A couple of Nobel Prize First Day Covers (Sweden, 60s - 70s) - http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16443431334_186be1d428_b.jpg
Just a sidenote though. I hope to see more photos of various old things from more members in this thread...:smile:

Likes OmCheeto and dlgoff
20150407_144050.jpg
That is the oldest thing. Not just in my house, it is THE oldest thing. It was given to me just after I was born, and as far as I know the world hadn't existed before.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude, davenn, lisab and 3 others
A fossil commonly found on my Niagara Escarpment property.

Probably rocks my daughter brings in. Then... me I guess @ 34 years

Bandersnatch said:
That is the oldest thing. Not just in my house, it is THE oldest thing. It was given to me just after I was born, and as far as I know the world hadn't existed before.
That's adorable!