What is the optimal pressure for a closed district heating system?

In summary: It should be 8.5-2+10% of that.In summary, the pressure in a closed district heating system is determined by the lowest house at 90m below the heating station and the highest house at 20m above the heating station. The final pressure in the system is 11bar and the release pressure of the safety valve is 12bar.
paparaco
Hello,

I need help with defining pressure in closed district heating system. As shown in attached drawing, we have a heating station which supplies hot water (110/70 degrees C) to various households.
The lowest house is 90m below station and the highest one is 20m above. I need to determine final pressure in system and release pressure of safety valve.
I assume final pressure in system would be 11bar (90m+20m) and release pressure of safety valve 12bar (10% above system pressure)?

upload_2015-12-28_19-46-44.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is real work we must calculate and shock when valves close. Usually used air-caves to make shock smoother. Speed of water is critical for these calculations.

I don't understand air-caves. It is closed system without any air inside.

air bottle valves that used for shocks absorption.

OK, but are my assumptions for pressure occurring in system correct?

For unmoved liquid yes they are. But if this is a real application it is dangerous to use this.

It is real application and the pump is running right now. Flow is 71 m3/h, pressure in supply pipe is 8.5bar and in return pipe 4bar.

Details are not clear but you can use hydrostatic pressure difference plus pressure ref. You must include pump pressure as n%*power = pump pressure * Volume/sec where n is about 60% for electrical motors.
When pump starts, liquid accelerate smoothly. When pump stops, there is a shock F=dp/dt to all pipe system. dt for water is about 1-2 seconds.
For this reason may you use valves to allow one way flow. The shock pressure adds to total pressure may be larger than total hydrostatic pressure. If pipes are on one line, one way valves take the load. On curves needed mechanical stability to take the load.

Likes billy_joule
paparaco said:
It is real application and the pump is running right now. Flow is 71 m3/h, pressure in supply pipe is 8.5bar and in return pipe 4bar.
This is from guages at the pump??
One would presume that is where you are referencing the pressures. Due to the difference in elevations the pressure is not uniform across the whole network.

If so, with the pump running, with no losses,
Bottom house 9 meters below is receiving another 9 bar at his sevice to the house, 17.5 bar.
Top house is receiving 2 bar less.

Where is the pressure safety valve supposed to be located?

Supply = 8.5 and return =4 bar, there are losses of 4 bar somewhere in the system. Pump is adding 4.5 bar of pressure to the water to compensate.

I assume final pressure in system would be 11bar (90m+20m) and release pressure of safety valve 12bar (10% above system pressure)?
Here you are referencing the pressure at the bottom house with no flow.

When stating pressures, always state the location.

I think that pressure safety valve can be only (8.5 - 2) + 10% on the top. But if you put it on the bottom may be (4+9) + 100% except you using one way valves. For this reason bottom safety valves is not good idea.

256bits said:
This is from guages at the pump??
Yes at given moment. See below pic of how it is done.
upload_2015-12-29_16-41-20.png

256bits said:
Top house is receiving 2 bar less.
So 6.5 bar
256bits said:
Supply = 8.5 and return =4 bar, there are losses of 4 bar somewhere in the system.
Of course, there is a couple km of pipe network.
256bits said:
Here you are referencing the pressure at the bottom house with no flow.

When stating pressures, always state the location.
What would be the pressure before the pump and after the pump? It has to be less than safety valve release pressure and high enough to circulate water through whole network.

theodoros.mihos said:
I think that pressure safety valve can be only (8.5 - 2) + 10% on the top. But if you put it on the bottom may be (4+9) + 100% except you using one way valves. For this reason bottom safety valves is not good idea.
Safety valve is inside heating station right behind heat exchanger as shown on pic.

Related to What is the optimal pressure for a closed district heating system?

1. What is pressure in a heating system?

Pressure in a heating system refers to the force that is exerted on the walls of the system by the fluid (usually water) moving through it. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or bar.

2. Why is pressure important in a heating system?

Pressure is important in a heating system because it is directly related to the temperature at which the fluid boils. As pressure increases, the boiling point of the fluid also increases. This allows the system to reach higher temperatures and provide more efficient heating.

3. How is pressure controlled in a heating system?

Pressure in a heating system is controlled through the use of pressure relief valves. These valves are designed to open and release excess pressure in the system in order to maintain safe and stable pressure levels.

4. What are the consequences of high pressure in a heating system?

High pressure in a heating system can lead to a variety of issues, including leaks, damage to components, and reduced efficiency. It can also be dangerous if not properly controlled and can potentially cause explosions.

5. How can I troubleshoot pressure issues in my heating system?

If you are experiencing pressure issues in your heating system, it is best to consult a professional technician. They will be able to diagnose the problem and provide a solution, which may include adjusting the pressure relief valve, checking for leaks, or repairing any damaged components.