What is the optimal type of acceleration for Newton's force-mass ratio?

In summary, Newton's 2nd Law can be expressed for translational acceleration or angular acceleration. For translational motion, it is a = F/m and for rotational motion, it is α = Torque/I. There is no specific type of acceleration required for Newton's force-mass ratio, but there is a difference between angular and linear acceleration, with angular acceleration being expressed in radians/sec^2 and linear acceleration in m/sec^2. For a circle with a radius of 1 meter, one radian is equivalent to 1 meter of arc length. Dimensional analysis can also be used to determine the appropriate type of acceleration to use.
deda
Is there any restriction to what type of acceleration should give Newton’s force - mass ratio? Should it be angular or linear or electric or whatever acceleration? The fact that the rigid bar on which the weights hold IS rigid means that the weights are rotating around the center of the lever and the angle of rotation for each weight is same. So, this force - mass ratio either could or must be expressed thru this angle, which enables that ratio to be equivalent with the angle. This also enables that ratio to be equivalent with the angular acceleration. Angular acceleration is not same with the linear one. If it was then it could be same also with electric acceleration that I define like some Coulombs over seconds squared.

So what type of acceleration gives Newton’s force - mass ratio?

After all I don’t think even angular acceleration is necessary to simulate the motion in one system. Look:
D_1 = (random, random, random) - nonzero distance of first weight.
F_1 = (random, random, random) - nonzero force of first weight.
D_2, F_2 - distance, force of second weight.
n = random (1, 100) - ratio of the distances.
A = random (0, 359) - the angle of rotation same for all.
[tex]make D_2 = \frac {-n}{|D_1|} D_1 [/tex]
[tex]make F_2 = \frac {-|D_1|}{|D_2|} F_1 [/tex]
[tex]for i = 1 and 2 make [/tex]
[tex]new (F_i) = cos(a) F_i - \frac {|F_i | sin(a)}{|D_i |} D_i [/tex]
[tex]new (D_i) = cos(a) D_i + \frac {|D_i | sin(a)}{|F_i |} F_i [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
deda said:
Is there any restriction to what type of acceleration should give Newton’s force - mass ratio? Should it be angular or linear or electric or whatever acceleration?
Newton's 2nd Law can be expressed for translational acceleration or angular acceleration (for rotational motion). For translational motion: a = F/m; for rotational motion: α = Torque/I.
Acceleration is a kinematic concept: there is no "electric" or other kind of acceleration.

Doc Al said:
Newton's 2nd Law can be expressed for translational acceleration or angular acceleration (for rotational motion). For translational motion: a = F/m; for rotational motion: α = Torque/I.
Acceleration is a kinematic concept: there is no "electric" or other kind of acceleration.
But there is a big difference between angular and linear:
-angular expresses in deg/sec^2
-linear in m/sec^2
What will decide which one I should use for Newton's froce - mass ratio?

deda said:
But there is a big difference between angular and linear:
-angular expresses in deg/sec^2
-linear in m/sec^2

Angular acceleration is expressed in radians/sec^2.

(Stupid equation here was deleted)

For a circle with a radius of 1 meter:
one radian is equivalent to 1 meter of arc length.

You see?
-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael D. Sewell said:
Angular acceleration is expressed in radians/sec^2.

For a circle with a radius of 1 meter:
one radian = 1 meter

You see?
-Mike
Ok, then I'll walk 500 radians to return home.
No man Pi radians is only equivalent (not equal) to 180 degrees.

Sorry, a bit cranky today are we?

Edited previous post.

Dimensional analysis. You see?
-Mike

P.S. I'd say that walking any more than pi radians(or in this case 3.14... meters) to return home would be wasteful. I think I could do it in 2 radii(2 meters).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the optimal type of acceleration for Newton's force-mass ratio?

1. What is the difference between angular and linear motion?

Angular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, while linear motion is the movement of an object along a straight path.

2. How do you calculate angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated as the change in angular displacement over a given time period, while linear velocity is calculated as the change in linear displacement over a given time period.

3. Is angular or linear motion more common in everyday life?

Linear motion is more common in everyday life, as it is seen in everyday activities such as walking, driving a car, or throwing a ball.

4. Can an object have both angular and linear motion?

Yes, an object can have both angular and linear motion simultaneously. For example, a spinning top has both angular and linear motion.

5. How does angular and linear motion relate to each other?

Angular and linear motion are related through the concept of rotational motion. Angular motion can be converted into linear motion through the use of gears, pulleys, or other mechanisms.