What is the Optimum Thickness for a Thermal Container Design?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with designing a container to keep a cryogenic mix at -15ºC for at least 40 minutes. They have reviewed thermodynamic and heat transfer theory and are considering the balance between conduction and convection in determining the optimum thickness of XPS. They have also calculated the heat using the specific heat of the mixture and are trying to equalize it with the heat of convection and conduction. However, they are facing difficulties with determining the exterior radius due to the convection coefficient and external temperature of the cylinder. The speaker is open to suggestions and grateful for any help.
joaquinjbs
Hello everyone, first of all, thank you very much for reading.

I have to design a container (100 mm of height and 80 mm of interior radius of XPS) to keep a cryogenic mix (water and salt ice) at -15ºC at least for 40min. And my problem is to calculate the optimum thickness of XPS.

I've been reviewing thermodynamic and heat transfer theory. I have conduction and convection so if I increase the thickness, I improve conduction but it's not good for convection. Also, I don't know how to connect the thermodynamics and heat transfer theory with warming the ice. I'm having some problems with the convection coefficient too.

If somebody could help me I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tell you what I have do at the time.

With specific heat of the mixture, the mass and the temperature difference between exit refrigerator temperature and -15ºC I calculate the heat.
On the other way, I obtain the heat of convection and conduction with the equivalent resistance (in a cylinder), and finally, I equalize at the previous heat.
I could calculate the exterior radius if it were not for the convection coefficient and the external temperature of the cylinder. And I can't give the time which I want (40min.)

Any idea? Thanks!

*Edit: -15ºC is the melting point of the cryogenic mix, therefore I can add the latent heats of fusion.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Optimum Thickness for a Thermal Container Design?

1. What is the purpose of a design thermal container?

A design thermal container is used to maintain a specific temperature range for its contents. This can be to keep items either hot or cold, depending on the desired outcome.

2. How does a design thermal container work?

A design thermal container works by using an insulating material, such as foam or vacuum-sealed panels, to prevent heat transfer between the inside and outside of the container. This helps to maintain the temperature of the contents for a longer period of time.

3. What are the benefits of using a design thermal container?

There are several benefits to using a design thermal container. It can help to preserve the quality and freshness of food and beverages, reduce energy usage by maintaining a consistent temperature, and protect sensitive items from extreme temperatures.

4. How do I choose the right design thermal container?

Choosing the right design thermal container depends on the specific needs and intended use of the container. Consider factors such as the desired temperature range, size and capacity, insulation material, and overall durability when selecting a container.

5. Can a design thermal container be used for both hot and cold items?

Yes, a design thermal container can be used for both hot and cold items. However, it is important to choose a container with the appropriate insulation and temperature range for the specific items being stored. Some containers may be better suited for either hot or cold items, so it is important to read the product specifications before use.

Back