What is the order to learn physics?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Quantum Velocity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to fully understand physics, you will need to learn fundamental mathematical techniques in addition to the concepts of classical mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, and other specialized fields. This journey is a long and ongoing one, but staying curious will make it an exciting and rewarding experience.
Quantum Velocity
Hey guy!
I just want to know what order of physics i should learn to understand all of them.
So pleas help me!
Thanks you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To learn "all of them", which is pretty ambitious and could trigger a long debate on whether this is possible at all, you probably have to learn fundamental mathematical techniques in parallel. This is because physics is written in the language of mathematics. Therefore to learn physics is a bit like learning two new languages, since ordinary words become new and precise meanings in both languages: physics and mathematics.

But let as assume that you really want to follow that colorful and wonderful route. Then all what can be learned at school should be learnt. It is the foundation. Not always the last word of it, as you will experience on your journey, but a good start. This means physics usually start with classical mechanics, Newton's and Galileo's world, and the notion of frames and conservative forces. Along with it are calculus and linear algebra on the mathematical side of the coin. Then come some already a bit specialized fields like electrodynamics, thermodynamics and maybe special relativity and quantum mechanics. This means a bit theory of differential equations, probability theory, complex and multivariate calculus and a bit topology on the mathematical part. From here on the fields get split more and more into certain specialized parts: general relativity, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, quantum field theory and all those which I have forgotten here to mention. On the mathematical side, you will have to learn less and less, as you do not need to specialize there or (in general) learn things like number theory or game theory. However, some parts will still add to your list: Lie theory, representation theory of groups and algebras, multilinear algebra and differential geometry.

This might look like a long journey already. Well, it is. And if you are really willing to take this adventure, there will be no end. Regardless how much you will have learned some day, there always will be more to learn. This may make it appear like an unreachable goal, but you will recognize, that it is in fact the most exciting part of it! So whatever you do: Stay curious!

Likes Happiness and russ_watters

Related to What is the order to learn physics?

1. What is the best order to learn physics?

The best order to learn physics is to start with the basics of classical mechanics, which includes topics such as motion, forces, and energy. Then, move on to thermodynamics and electromagnetism. After that, it is important to understand the principles of waves and optics. Finally, learning about modern physics, including relativity and quantum mechanics, will complete a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

2. Should I learn calculus before learning physics?

It is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus before learning physics, as it is used extensively in many topics. However, if you are just starting out, it is possible to learn the necessary calculus concepts as you progress through your physics education.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to learn physics?

A strong mathematical background is important for understanding physics, as many concepts are described and analyzed using mathematical equations. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand the necessary math skills for physics.

4. Should I start with classical or modern physics?

It is recommended to start with classical physics, as it provides the foundation for understanding the principles of modern physics. Without a solid understanding of classical mechanics, it may be difficult to grasp the more complex concepts of modern physics.

5. Can I learn physics on my own or do I need a teacher?

While it is possible to learn physics on your own, having a teacher or mentor can greatly enhance your understanding and provide guidance when needed. It is also beneficial to have someone to discuss and ask questions with when learning new and challenging concepts.