What is the Origin of the e-Term in the Characteristic Function?

In summary: Engineers use i to stand for electrical current.This causes enormous troubles when working with jmaginary numbers! Engineers use i to stand for electrical current.
EvLer
This kind of bothers me:
our textbook does not explain (and the professor either) where characteristic function comes from, all it says is what it defined as, which is E[ejwX], where E is expectation of random variable X. But where is this e-term coming from?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
e is, well, e, you know, euler and all that? Logs base e...

That's clearly an engineering text since they are using "j" where any normal human being would use "i"!

Although you don't say it, I suspect you are talking about the average value of waves with ejwX= eiwX= cos(wX)+ i sin(wX).

HallsofIvy said:
That's clearly an engineering text since they are using "j" where any normal human being would use "i"!
yeah... i heard that argument before: math people are i-people, engineers are j-people, forgot what the reasoning is...i think engineers underestimate "i" in some way...:rolleyes:
Although you don't say it, I suspect you are talking about the average value of waves with ejwX= eiwX= cos(wX)+ i sin(wX).
that's the thing! i know the Euler's identity and all that, but the book is "Probability and random processes for electric engineers", and all of a sudden after discussing various distributions, pdf-s, cdf-s we have expected value of a random variable... so far so good, THEN... we get into n-th moment and so here we go... characterstic function and n-th moment theorem. From the book, we can find n-th moment either by integral or by differentiating this characteristic function (couple other things to that), so my question is: how the heck did they come up with that! I'm just trying to make connections and see some continuity to all this... (signals are not in the picture, at least yet...) math is not the issue, i can deal with that...the idea "why and how" is the issue.
So... if someone could give me the "big-picture" stuff...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
EvLer said:
yeah... i heard that argument before: math people are i-people, engineers are j-people, forgot what the reasoning is...i think engineers underestimate "i" in some way...:rolleyes:

Engineers use i to stand for electrical current.

Corneo said:
Which causes enormous troubles when working with jmaginary numbers!

Corneo said:
hm... really? :)
i was getting at something else actually, it has something to do with vector properties of i vs j, as a vagually remember...

Related to What is the Origin of the e-Term in the Characteristic Function?

1. What is a characteristic function?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a random variable. It is used to uniquely identify a probability distribution and can be defined for both discrete and continuous random variables.

2. How is a characteristic function different from a probability density function?

A probability density function (PDF) is a function that describes the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a specific value. In contrast, a characteristic function describes the entire distribution of a random variable, not just a single value. It is like a fingerprint of the distribution, while a PDF is like a snapshot of the distribution at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of a characteristic function?

The characteristic function is used to calculate the moments of a random variable, such as the mean and variance. It is also used in statistical inference and hypothesis testing, as well as in the study of properties of random variables, such as independence and convergence.

4. How is a characteristic function calculated?

The characteristic function is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the probability density function (PDF) of a random variable. This involves integrating the PDF over all possible values of the random variable multiplied by a complex exponential function.

5. Can a characteristic function be used for any type of random variable?

Yes, a characteristic function can be defined for any type of random variable, whether it is discrete or continuous. However, in some cases, the characteristic function may not exist or may not be easy to calculate. In these cases, other methods such as moment generating functions may be used instead.