What is the origin of the name Tri-Bimaximal?

• Thread starter mjsd
  • Start date
In summary, tribimaximal is a term used to describe a mixing matrix that has two large mixing angles.
mjsd
Homework Helper
Why "Tri-Bimaximal"?

[tex]\displaymath{U_{PMNS}=\begin{pmatrix}
\sqrt{2/3}& 1/\sqrt{3}& 0\\
-1/\sqrt{6}& 1/\sqrt{3}& 1/\sqrt{2}\\
1/\sqrt{6}& -1/\sqrt{3}& 1/\sqrt{2}\end{pmatrix}}[/tex]

This matrix implies [tex]\theta_{13}=0, \sin \theta_{12} = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] (ie. not maximal mixing) and [tex]\theta_{23}=\pi/4[/tex] (ie. maximal mixing)

OK, to my question, WHY do we call this matrix "Tri-Bimaximal"? How does this name come about? Two large mixing angles and the [tex]1/\sqrt{3}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
mjsd said:
[tex]\displaymath{U_{PMNS}=\begin{pmatrix}
\sqrt{2/3}& 1/\sqrt{3}& 0\\
-1/\sqrt{6}& 1/\sqrt{3}& 1/\sqrt{2}\\
1/\sqrt{6}& -1/\sqrt{3}& 1/\sqrt{2}\end{pmatrix}}[/tex]

This matrix implies [tex]\theta_{13}=0, \sin \theta_{12} = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] (ie. not maximal mixing) and [tex]\theta_{23}=\pi/4[/tex] (ie. maximal mixing)

OK, to my question, WHY do we call this matrix "Tri-Bimaximal"? How does this name come about? Two large mixing angles and the [tex]1/\sqrt{3}[/tex]?

The "bi-maximal mixing" is from the third column -- that means the third mass eigenstate is a maximal mixing state of muon neutrino and tauon neutrino flavor eigenstates.

Whereas the "tri-maximal mixing" can be seen from the second column -- the second mass eigenstate is a full mixing of all the three flavor eigenstates (each of them occupies 1/3)

oh well, physicists have weird names for things...but I knew this one has good meaning (for someone told me before, but I forgot). Thanks.

mjsd said:
oh well, physicists have weird names for things...but I knew this one has good meaning (for someone told me before, but I forgot). Thanks.

Someone (CarlB?) had a history about a referee rejecting a paper on grounds of the absurdity of using such name, tribimaximal, in the title or abstract of a paper.

arivero said:
Someone (CarlB?) had a history about a referee rejecting a paper on grounds of the absurdity of using such name, tribimaximal, in the title or abstract of a paper.

perhaps those guys (like me before) didn't quite know the meaning of tribimaximal when they are using them (although I am very well aware of all the properties of the mixing matrix, I didn't know tri-bimaximal really means tri-maximal and bi-maximal)? May be there are ppl out there who really hate the term tri-bimaximal.
:smile:

Actually, it wasn't a referee rejecting it, just a particle theorist who wouldn't read past the title of the Koide paper that said "tribimaximal".

The sociologists have studied how physicists read physics papers and it turns out that very few papers that are "read" actually are considered at all beyond a very shallow level. The mathematics is usually too difficult to allow people to spend the time to read much.

See the paper Does understanding physical science need deep mathematical knowledge? at this site:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/schoolsanddivisions/academicschools/socsi/staff/acad/collins/expertise/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the origin of the name Tri-Bimaximal?

1. Why is Tri-Bimaximal Mixing used in particle physics?

Tri-Bimaximal Mixing is used in particle physics because it is the most widely accepted model for explaining the phenomenon of neutrino oscillations. This model has been successful in predicting the mixing angles and mass differences between different types of neutrinos, as observed in various experiments.

2. What is the significance of the name "Tri-Bimaximal Mixing"?

The name "Tri-Bimaximal Mixing" refers to the specific pattern of mixing angles that this model predicts for the three known types of neutrinos. "Tri" refers to the fact that there are three angles, "bi" refers to the two maximal angles (45 degrees and 90 degrees), and "maximal" refers to the fact that these angles are at their largest values.

3. How does Tri-Bimaximal Mixing differ from other mixing models?

Tri-Bimaximal Mixing differs from other models in that it predicts a specific pattern of mixing angles, whereas other models may allow for more variation in these angles. Additionally, this model is based on the idea that neutrinos have a specific mass hierarchy, while other models may not make this assumption.

4. What evidence supports the use of Tri-Bimaximal Mixing?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the use of Tri-Bimaximal Mixing. This includes the results of various experiments that have measured the mixing angles and mass differences of neutrinos, as well as the fact that this model has successfully predicted these values. Additionally, the predictions of this model are consistent with other observations, such as the behavior of neutrinos produced in the sun.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using Tri-Bimaximal Mixing?

While Tri-Bimaximal Mixing has been successful in predicting the mixing angles and mass differences of neutrinos, it is not a complete model and does have some limitations. For example, it does not account for the small but non-zero masses of neutrinos, and it does not provide a mechanism for explaining why the mixing angles have the specific values that they do. Furthermore, there may be other models that can also explain the observed data and may be able to provide a more complete understanding of neutrino oscillations.