What is the output of two cosine functions?

In summary, the homework statement includes a trig identity and a function that takes in two inputs and outputs a cosine. The trig identity states that output g(t) (sum of x1 + x2) is 0.5cos[(ω2-ω1)t] + 0.5cos[(ω2+ω1)t]. The function takes in two inputs and outputs a cosine, so it follows that output g(t) (sum of x1 + x2) is 0.5cos[(ω2-ω1)t] + 0.5cos[(ω2+ω1)t].
Jimmy Johnson

Homework Statement

inputs x1(t) = cos(ω1t), x2(t) = cos(ω2t).
Show that output g(t) (sum of x1 + x2) = 0.5cos[(ω2-ω1)t] + 0.5cos[(ω2+ω1)t]

Homework Equations

included in upload of attempted solution. Trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

Uploaded in pdf. A lot more has been done on the solution however including it all would have taken forever, problem is I keep circling round and winding up back at the same place I started (due to the nature of the identities). It's been a while since I've did a question like this and understand half the battle is spotting the connection, and will probably be kicking myself if I get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• questoin 1(B).pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 248
  • questoin 1(B).pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 213
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look like a true identity to me. Try a disproof by counterexample. Choose a couple of representative values for the ω's and a handy value of t (say, t = 1). Does the identity hold?

You seem to have a point. I did ω1 = 30 ,ω2 = 60 t = 1. The given proof that I am to aim towards gave (√3)/4 while adding the two functions separately gave ((1+√3)/2).
ω1 = 30 ,ω2 = 60 t = 1... proof = ((-√6+√2)/4) as opposed to ((-√3+√2)/2). So it would seem the identity doesn't hold?

In the question it says X1 = cos(ω1t), X1' = cos(ω2t). I assumed from the layout of the diagram (the circled x indicating a sum) and the two inputs of X1 and X2 pointing logically towards a typo and X1' (no dash in question only for indicative purposes writing this) being X2 in connection with ω2 would make sense.

That being said if they were to be both of X1, assuming it wasn't a typo, would that make a difference? I would be confused as to the purpose of X2 if it were the case and how it would be any different under those circumstances anyhow. Unless it may then fall under the multiple angle formula and use recurrence relationships?

Can you post the original question? Perhaps a picture? It's difficult to make out what the situation is without context.

Edit: Nevermind. I just realized that you did post the question in your pdf. Sorry about that.

the original question is in the pdf attatched? or is it difficult to make out?

The circled X represents a product, not a sum.

wow. Well that will hopefully clear it up, I've to head to work for a few hours here then i'll get back to the drawing board. In the question it says that it can be shown as a sum? Would that not indicate that it should be proven as a sum i.e. the two x terms added and that my working out with the counter examples may be changed and hold?

I can't do much on it now but hopefully that will sort it out. Thanks a lot :)

Jimmy Johnson said:
In the question it says that it can be shown as a sum? Would that not indicate that it should be proven as a sum i.e. the two x terms added and that my working out with the counter examples may be changed and hold?
No, the two x terms are multiplied, but the result can be expressed as a sum.

Yeah I got it pretty much instantly after it being pointed out to be a product. Fell pretty dumb haha Thanks for the help!

FAQ: What is the output of two cosine functions?

1. What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and the angles of that triangle. It is commonly used in trigonometry and can also be represented as a wave or oscillation.

2. What is the sum of two cosine functions?

The sum of two cosine functions is a new function that results from adding the individual values of each cosine function at a given point. This can be represented as f(x) = cos(x) + cos(y), where x and y are the two independent variables.

3. How is the sum of two cosine functions calculated?

The sum of two cosine functions can be calculated by adding the individual values of each cosine function at a given point. This can be done using a calculator or by following the mathematical rules for adding trigonometric functions.

4. What are some real-life applications of the sum of two cosine functions?

The sum of two cosine functions has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can be used to model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical currents, and mechanical vibrations.

5. Can the sum of two cosine functions be simplified?

Yes, the sum of two cosine functions can be simplified using trigonometric identities and properties. This can help to make the function easier to work with and understand, especially in more complex mathematical equations and applications.