What is the pattern in this sequence and can it be proved?

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the sequence given has a general term of 3n + 2, and when expanded into a polynomial, every term except for the constant term is divisible by 3. This proves that the powers of numbers in the sequence are always in the sequence.
Natasha1
This is my question: Which powers of numbers in the sequence below are always in the sequence and which are not. Prove it?

Sequence: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14...

Answer:
So the gerenal term is 3n + 2

Now
(3n+2)^2 = 9n^2 + 12n +4

Where should I go from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
This is my question: Which powers of numbers in the sequence below are always in the sequence and which are not. Prove it?

Sequence: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14...

Answer:
So the gerenal term is 3n + 2

Now
(3n+2)^2 = 9n^2 + 6n + 4

Where should I go from here?

I think that should be 9n^2 + 12n + 4

Conventionally, [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is the index set of sequence. This means that when identifying the general term, it must be that a1 is the first term in the sequence. The way you wrote an, a0 is your first term.

It's no big deal, it just avoids confusion.

I suggest you go back to your iniital problem before tacking this one as the method of proof is very similar and you're just one step away from the final solution in the other problem.

When you expand (3n + 2)^k into a polynomial, every term except for the constant term must be divisible by 3.

Related to What is the pattern in this sequence and can it be proved?

1. What is the pattern of this sequence?

The pattern of this sequence is adding 3 to the previous number, starting with 2.

2. What is the next number in the sequence?

The next number in the sequence is 17, as it follows the pattern of adding 3 to the previous number.

3. What is the sum of the first 5 numbers in this sequence?

The sum of the first 5 numbers in this sequence is 40, calculated by adding 2 + 5 + 8 + 11 + 14.

4. Is this sequence arithmetic or geometric?

This sequence is arithmetic, as each number increases by the same amount (3) in each step.

5. Can this sequence continue infinitely?

Yes, this sequence can continue infinitely by following the pattern of adding 3 to the previous number.