What is the period of a bobbing cork?

• Thread starter alexander_i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, a cork oscillates for a period of 1.068E-5m3 when pushed down and released from water with a density of 0.55g/cc.
alexander_i

Homework Statement

A cork floats in water. The cork is a cylinder with radius 1 cm and height 3.4 cm. The density of the cork is 0.55 g/cc. Calculate the period of oscillation if the cork is pushed down a little and released.

Homework Equations

I think I need help with the restoring force... please.

The Attempt at a Solution

-1st I found the mass of the cork - M=D*V =
D = (.55g/cm3)*(1kg/1000g)*(100cm/m)3 = 550kg/m3
V = pi*r2*h = pi*(.01m)2*.034m = 1.068E-5 m3

M = 550kg/m3*1.068E-5m3 = 5.874E-3 kg

-Then setting up my differential:
Fnet = Frestore + Fgravity

Fr = -Dh2o*Vh2o : (Density of water * volume of water displaced)

Fg = mg

ma = mg - Dh2o*Vh2o

volume is dependent on y, or the height, so V = pi*r2*y

-rearranging the equation my'' + Dh2o*pi*r2*y = mg

divide by m --> y'' + Dh2o*pi*r2*y/m = g

and setting y=ert

r1=+isqrt(Dh2o*pi*r2*/m)
r2=-isqrt(Dh2o*pi*r2*/m)

I don't need the particular solution because we need to calculate the period, and

y(t) = Acos{sqrt(Dh2o*pi*r2*/m)t}
+ Bsin{sqrt(Dh2o*pi*r2*/m)t}

the period should be 2*pi/(sqrt(Dh2o*pi*r2*/m) right?

I got .859s but this is not correct. If anyone has some advice, I would be much obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first suggest to redefine y so that y=0 when the cork is at equilibrium. Then, you a have a VERY popular (in physics) type of 2nd order diff. eq., from which you can directly read off the frequency. Actually, it is not really necessary to redefine y, but I think it might make the equation easier for you to recognize.

BTW, y=e^rt is certainly not correct.

turin said:
I would first suggest to redefine y so that y=0 when the cork is at equilibrium. Then, you a have a VERY popular (in physics) type of 2nd order diff. eq., from which you can directly read off the frequency. Actually, it is not really necessary to redefine y, but I think it might make the equation easier for you to recognize.

BTW, y=e^rt is certainly not correct.

Try phrasing the restoring force as a force of the form [tex]\vec F(y) = -C\vec y[/tex], and think about what that says about the system.
A good way to start is to look at what the net force on the cork is at equilibrium, and what it is when you've displaced it by a height of [tex]y[/tex] into the water (Remember that the force [tex]mg[/tex] doesn't change).

A good mental analogy to make in this case would be comparing it to a vertical spring, I assume you've already dealt with that problem, try and remember how you dealt with the effect of gravity there, it's very similar here.

Related to What is the period of a bobbing cork?

What is the period of a bobbing cork?

The period of a bobbing cork refers to the amount of time it takes for the cork to complete one full cycle of its up-and-down motion.

What factors affect the period of a bobbing cork?

The period of a bobbing cork is affected by the density and buoyancy of the cork, the depth of the water, and the strength and direction of any external forces such as wind or currents.

How can the period of a bobbing cork be calculated?

The period of a bobbing cork can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the cork, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the period of a bobbing cork and its length?

The period of a bobbing cork is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the cork increases, so does its period, and vice versa.

Why is understanding the period of a bobbing cork important?

Understanding the period of a bobbing cork is important for various reasons, such as predicting the behavior of objects floating in water, studying the effects of external forces on floating objects, and even in the design of boats and other floating structures.

Back