What Is the Period of a Thin Rod Swinging as a Compound Pendulum?

In summary, the problem involves a thin rod pivoted freely at one end about the horizontal z axis, with a mass of m, center of mass at a distance a from the pivot, and a moment of inertia of I. The equation of motion, d/dt(Lz) = Torque_z, is used to find the period of the compound pendulum assuming small angles. The torque is calculated using the force diagram and the small angle approximation is applied to obtain the simple harmonic oscillator equation. The angular frequency is found to be mga/ma^2, which can also be represented as mga/I, resulting in a familiar periodic oscillation equation with respect to theta. The equation is then simplified to find the angular frequency,
roeb

Homework Statement

A thin rod (of width zero, but not necessarily uniform) is pivoted freely at one end about the horizontal z axis, being free to swing in the xy plane (x horizontal, y vertically down). Its mass is m, its CM (center of mass) is a distance a from the pivot, and its moment of inertia (about the z axis) is I. Write down the equation of motion d/dt(Lz) = Torque_z and assuming the motion is confined to small angles, find the period of this compound pendulum.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi/w
Lz = mvr
Torque = r cross F = I*(angular accel)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm, I think I am close to getting the right answer, but just can't quite get it.
I know Torque = I*alpha = I*a*d^2/dt^2(phi)
I also know that Lz = m*(a*d/dt(phi))*a = m*a^2*d/dt(phi)
Taking the deriv. of Lz seems to yield an equation where the phi's cancel out.
I also know that I = 1/3*MR^2 for a rod, but in this problem, I don't think that I need to use it.

Hmm, I need to somehow work gravity into the equation... but I can't quite figure out how.

Does anyone have any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi roeb,
similar to any classical mechanic problem, you probably want to draw a force diagram, things will be clearer from this point.
Using torque as I[tex]\alpha[/tex] is going to be a bit obscure.
If I am you, I'll use its definition. What is torque by definition?
After you figure out what torque is, then you'll figure out that it is related to gravitational force (yes, it comes in here).
After you find out the torque, try to write out the whole equation, torque = d(L)/dt.
And remember to use small angle approximation.
After doing some algebra, you'll probably see something very familiar to you, or if not, something like a periodic oscillation equation with respect to theta.
Then it shouldn't be hard from there.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply.

r = (asin(phi), acos(phi))
F = (0, mg, 0)

Torque = r cross F
Torque_z = m*g*a*sin(phi)

momentum = m(acos(phi) d/dt(phi), -asin(phi) d/dt(phi)
L = r cross momentum
Lz = -m*a^2*d/dt(phi)

Using the small angle approximation I get, the simple harmonic oscillator equation:

ma^2*d^2/dt^2(phi) + mga*phi = 0

so omega^2 = mga/ma^2.

I think everything up to this point is correct. My point problem now is that according to my book omega^2 (which is the angular frequency) is mga/I.
--> Can I say that I = ma^2? I'm not sure if that is correct to say?

Almost, but not quite. I think the problem is at your momentum.
It might be easier to look it from the other way around
L = I*d(theta)/dt
Now you can see that you yourself assume that I = ma^2
Otherwise, I don't see anything incorrect

FAQ: What Is the Period of a Thin Rod Swinging as a Compound Pendulum?

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around a particular axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum of a thin rod is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass, length, and radius of the rod.

3. What is the difference between Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in the direction of the motion they represent. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and linear velocity, while angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

4. How does the mass and length of a thin rod affect its Angular Momentum?

The mass and length of a thin rod have a direct effect on its angular momentum. A larger mass or longer length will result in a greater moment of inertia, which in turn will increase the angular momentum of the rod.

5. Can the Angular Momentum of a thin rod be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a thin rod can be changed by altering its angular velocity, mass, or length. This can be done by applying an external force, changing the shape or size of the rod, or changing the speed of its rotation.

Back