What Is the Person's Resultant Displacement After the Walk?

In summary, the question asks for the resultant displacement of a person who walks along a path with four straight-line segments, given the initial angle of 61.0° and the final angle of 238.08°. The correct magnitude is 216.454 m, not 216.45 m due to a slight error in the angle calculation.
chanv1

Homework Statement

A person going for a walk follows the path shown in the figure, where y1 = 290 m and θ = 61.0°. The total trip consists of four straight-line paths. At the end of the walk, what is the person's resultant displacement measured from the starting point?

____ m? ____ degrees? (from the + x axis)

Homework Equations

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3813/physicsho5.th.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated and found the correct angle, which is 238.08 degrees but I don't know why I keep getting the wrong magnitude. I got 216.45 m and it's incorrect.

here is my work:

vector A = 100N @ 0 degrees ; A_x = 100 A_y = 0
vector B = 290N @ 270 degrees; B_x = 0 B_y = -290
vector C = 150N @ 210 degrees; C_x = -129.90 C_y = -75
vector D = 200N @ 115 degrees; D_x = -84.52 D_y = 181.26

tan^-1 (-183.74/-114.42) = 58.1 degrees + 180 degrees = 238.08 degrees

so for the magnitude I did

-114.42^2 + -183.74^2 = c^2
sq root of 46852.3 ... or 216.454 = c

but that is wrong, can anyone tell me what c would be? thanks.

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 811
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, I've attached the picture.

The first vector is vector B in my solutions.

Ok, I"ve got the pic. The only problem I see is the value of the angle of the 4th vector. You have 115deg, I get 119deg.

thank youuuu! how do I mark this as solved now?

FAQ: What Is the Person's Resultant Displacement After the Walk?

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of the change in position, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length of the path traveled.

3. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. It can also be calculated using the formula d = √(Δx² + Δy²), where Δx and Δy are the changes in the x and y coordinates, respectively.

4. What is meant by angle problem in displacement?

An angle problem in displacement refers to a situation where the direction of the displacement is not the same as the direction of the object's motion. This can occur when an object changes direction or follows a curved path.

5. How is angle problem solved in displacement?

To solve an angle problem in displacement, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These can help you find the magnitude and direction of the displacement by using the given angle and known sides of a triangle.

Back