What is the physical difference between compression waves and longitud

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between compression and longitudinal waves and their respective phase speeds. While the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a difference in their mathematical formulas for calculating phase speed. However, further analysis shows that they are in fact the same and the distinction lies in the definition of the elastic modulus used in the formulas. The question then shifts to understanding the physical differences between a longitudinal wave with a phase speed of $$c = \sqrt{\frac{E}{\rho}}$$ and the normal definition of a compression or longitudinal wave.
mikelotinga
Hello, this is my first post on this forum so nice to be here, and I'll be very appreciative of any responses. My background is in acoustics, and hence my question is relevant to vibration propagation.

The terms 'compression' and 'longitudinal' are both frequently used to describe the same type of wave; namely one in which the direction of particle velocity is parallel to that of the group velocity.

However, in some texts I have seen a distinction drawn between the two, and two different formulae used to calculate the wave phase speed.

I will reproduce the two definitions in terms of the classical elastic constants sometimes known as the Lamé parameters ##\lambda## and ##\mu##. I define these constants using Poisson's ratio ##\nu##, and the elastic (Young's, wrongly attributed) modulus, ##E##.

$$\lambda = \frac{\nu E}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)}$$

$$\mu = \frac{E}{2(1 + \nu)}$$

For COMPRESSION (dilatational) waves, Ewing & Jardetsky, 1957 (Elastic Waves in Layered Media, available free at https://archive.org/details/elasticwavesinla032682mbp - see Chapter 1, pages 8 and 9 in particular) give the formula for the phase speed ##c_P## in terms of ##\lambda##, ##\mu## and the material mass density ##\rho## as

$$c_P = \sqrt{\frac{\lambda + 2\mu}{\rho}}$$

For LONGITUDINAL waves, Cremer, Heckl and Petersson, 2005 (Structure-borne Sound, see this page and this page, noting that, in this volume, Poisson's ratio is denoted as ##\mu##) give the formula for the phase speed ##c_L## as

$$c_L = \sqrt{\frac{E(1 - \nu)}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)\rho}}$$

which is, in terms of ##\lambda##

$$c_L = \sqrt{\frac{\lambda(1 - \nu)}{\nu\rho}}$$

The distinction between the compression wave phase speed and the longitudinal wave phase speed is therefore, as pointed out by Remington, Kurzweil and Towers, 1987 (Low-Frequency Noise and Vibration from Trains, Chapter 16 of the Transportation Noise Reference Book, edited by Paul Nelson, available here, see page 16/8, i.e. page 8 of chapter 16)

$$\frac{c_P}{c_L} = \sqrt{\frac{1 - \nu}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)}}$$

Please note the longitudinal wave here is NOT the quasi-longitudinal wave found in relatively thin objects such as plates and bars, which have a different set of phase speeds again.

Now, 'compression' and 'longitudinal' appear to be bandied about as interchangeable terms for the same wave, but this analysis suggests this is not the case. Can anyone explain what the difference is in a physical, rather than mathematical sense?

Many thanks,

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
hello mike! welcome to pf! :smile:
mikelotinga said:
$$\lambda = \frac{\nu E}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)}$$

$$\mu = \frac{E}{2(1 + \nu)}$$

so $$\lambda + 2\mu = \frac{E}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)}(\nu + 1 - 2\nu)$$ :wink:

Likes 1 person
hi mike! :smile:
mikelotinga said:
… Where would one find this distinction between compression and longitudinal waves?

what diffference?? :confused:

i'm saying they're the same …​
mikelotinga said:
$$c_P = \sqrt{\frac{\lambda + 2\mu}{\rho}}$$

$$c_L = \sqrt{\frac{E(1 - \nu)}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)\rho}}$$

Hi Tim,

tiny-tim said:
hello mike! welcome to pf! :smile:

so $$\lambda + 2\mu = \frac{E}{(1 + \nu)(1 - 2\nu)}(\nu + 1 - 2\nu)$$ :wink:

Thanks for the welcome and for pointing out that, by the definitions of ##c_P## and ##c_L## in my post, in fact,

$$c_P = c_L$$

so there IS no mathematical distinction. I can see what happened. In the Remington text I mentioned, they use the definition

$$c_L = \sqrt{\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\rho}}$$

I've put the ##E## in bold because, since they neglect to define ##\mathbf{E}##, I assumed (wrongly), that their ##\mathbf{E}## was the same as the ##D## used in the Cremer text, where ##D = \lambda(1 - \nu)/\nu = \lambda + 2\mu## as you've helpfully shown. Rather, working through from their ratio of ##c_P/c_L##, it seems they DO actually mean ##c_L = \sqrt{E/\rho}## where ##E## IS the elastic modulus.

SO (deep breath), to rephrase the question, can anyone explain WHAT a so-called 'longitudinal' wave with a phase speed of

$$c = \sqrt{\frac{E}{\rho}}$$

is, and how it differs (physically) from the normal definition of a compression or longitudinal wave?

Thanks alot!

:)

mikelotinga said:
SO (deep breath), to rephrase the question, can anyone explain WHAT a so-called 'longitudinal' wave with a phase speed of

$$c = \sqrt{\frac{E}{\rho}}$$

is, and how it differs (physically) from the normal definition of a compression or longitudinal wave?

:)

Ah, got it, contrary to the bottom part of my original post, this last one IS the equation for the phase speed of a quasi-longitudinal wave in a bar.

Sorry to waste your time, puzzle solved!

Related to What is the physical difference between compression waves and longitud

1. What is the difference between compression waves and longitudinal waves?

Compression waves and longitudinal waves are terms that are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Both types of waves involve the transfer of energy through a medium, but the main difference lies in the direction of the particle displacement. In compression waves, the particles of the medium vibrate in the same direction as the wave is traveling. In longitudinal waves, the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave.

2. How are compression waves and longitudinal waves created?

Compression waves and longitudinal waves are created by a disturbance or vibration in a medium, such as air, water, or solid material. This disturbance causes the particles of the medium to vibrate, which then transfers the energy of the disturbance into a wave that travels through the medium.

3. What is the speed of compression waves compared to longitudinal waves?

The speed of compression waves and longitudinal waves depends on the properties of the medium they are traveling through. In general, compression waves tend to travel faster than longitudinal waves. For example, in air, sound waves (a type of compression wave) can travel at a speed of around 343 meters per second, while seismic waves (a type of longitudinal wave) travel at a speed of around 5 kilometers per second.

4. How do compression waves and longitudinal waves affect matter?

Both compression waves and longitudinal waves have the ability to cause movement and displacement in matter. This is because the energy of the wave is transferred to the particles of the medium, causing them to vibrate and move. In some cases, this can cause compression or rarefaction of the medium, which can result in changes in density or pressure.

5. Can compression waves and longitudinal waves travel through all types of mediums?

Yes, compression waves and longitudinal waves can travel through a variety of mediums, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, the speed and behavior of the waves may vary depending on the properties of the medium. For example, sound waves travel faster through solids than through gases, and seismic waves can only travel through solid materials.