What Is the Physical Interpretation of Prandtl Number in Heat Transfer?

• Thread starter Sahil Dev
  • Start date
In summary, the Prandtl number is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity, and is a measure of the relative effectiveness of momentum and energy transport by diffusion in velocity and thermal boundary layers. It has practical applications in heat transfer situations, such as in fully developed laminar flow heat transfer. At high Pr values, the thermal boundary layer is smaller than the velocity boundary layer, while at low Pr values, the thermal boundary layer is larger.
Sahil Dev

Homework Statement

Physical meaning of Prandtl number

Homework Equations

See attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been reading about the boundary layer cocept whilst doing a self study on heat tarsnfer.

I have come across the diemnsionless numbers: Reynolds number, Prandtl number, Nusselt number.

I have a question cocnerning Prandtl number- its physical interpretation and would like to know if I'm right here.

The text says;
· The physical interpretation of Prandtl number follows from its definition as a ratio of the momentum diffusivity to the thermal diffusivity.
· It is a measure of relative effectiveness of momentum and energy transport by diffusion in the velocity and thermal boundary layers, respectively.

Am I right in interpreting;

Prandtl number is the ratio of heat ttarnsferred through convection to the heat tarsnferred through conduction.

That is: consdering an example, of flow of fluid over a flat plate (see attached image- velocity_boundary_layer.jpg), at the region where the fluid is in contact with the plate, heat tarnsfer is through pure conduction- since the fluid velocity is '0' here) whereas above (within the boundary later thickness) heat transfer will be through convection as well.

Please can anyone help me with my intepretation as I'm myself not very cmfortable with it.

Thanks
Sahil

Attachments

• prandtl.jpg
    prandtl.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 557
  • velocity_boundary_layer.jpg
    velocity_boundary_layer.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,259
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are spending too much time trying to ascribe some physical significance to Pr. My advice is just to accept that it is equal to the ratio of the kinematic viscosity to the thermal diffusivity, and move on. But pay attention to how it comes into play in actual heat transfer situations that you study such as in fully developed laminar flow heat transfer in a tube or, as you've shown, heat transfer to a fluid in flow over a flat plate.

At high Pr (like liquids), the thermal boundary layer lies inside the velocity boundary layer, but at very low Pr, the thermal boundary exceeds the velocity boundary layer in thickness.

Chet

Likes berkeman

Related to What Is the Physical Interpretation of Prandtl Number in Heat Transfer?

1. What is the Prandtl number and what does it represent?

The Prandtl number is a dimensionless number used in fluid mechanics to quantify the relative importance of viscous forces to thermal diffusivity. It represents the ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity, and is a measure of how efficiently heat is transferred in a fluid.

2. How is the Prandtl number calculated?

The Prandtl number is calculated by dividing the kinematic viscosity of a fluid by its thermal diffusivity. The kinematic viscosity is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid divided by its density. In mathematical terms, it can be expressed as Pr = ν/α, where ν is the kinematic viscosity and α is the thermal diffusivity.

3. What is considered a high or low Prandtl number?

A high Prandtl number indicates that the thermal diffusivity is much smaller than the kinematic viscosity, meaning that heat transfer is less efficient. This is the case for most liquids, such as water, with a Prandtl number in the range of 5-10. A low Prandtl number indicates that the thermal diffusivity is much larger than the kinematic viscosity, meaning that heat transfer is more efficient. This is the case for most gases, such as air, with a Prandtl number close to 1.

4. What are the applications of the Prandtl number?

The Prandtl number is used in various fields, including aerodynamics, meteorology, and engineering. It is particularly important in the study of convection, which involves the transfer of heat through a fluid. The Prandtl number is also used in the design and analysis of heat exchangers, as well as in the prediction of boundary layers in fluid flow.

5. Can the Prandtl number be changed?

The Prandtl number of a fluid is a physical property that is determined by its nature and cannot be changed. However, it can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and flow conditions. For example, the Prandtl number of a gas may vary with temperature, while the Prandtl number of a liquid may vary with pressure. In general, the Prandtl number remains constant for a given fluid under a specific set of conditions.