What Is the Point C for Maximum Area of Triangle ABC with Ellipse Constraints?

In summary, the problem asks for the point C that creates the largest area for triangle ABC, given the points A(-6,2) and B(-3,4) and the ellipse equation 4x^2 + 9y^2 = 72. The point C must also be on the ellipse. The solution involves finding a third point on the ellipse that maximizes the area, and can be approached using various methods depending on the level of math being studied.
Government$

Homework Statement

Points are A(-6,2) and B(-3,4) and ellipse 4x^2 + 9y^2 = 72. Point C(x,y) for which triangle ABC has largest area is?

Homework Equations

Ellipse equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know even where to start. As far as i am concerned that point can be any number as long as i can construct triangle using that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that point C has to on the ellipse.

They give you a side of the triangle, AB, and you need to find a third point on the ellipse that maximizes the area.

I can think of a few methods that do this, what level math are you taking?

Thank you for the hint i solved the problem. I am currently reviewing pre calclus so i could move forward.

Related to What Is the Point C for Maximum Area of Triangle ABC with Ellipse Constraints?

1. What is the difference between an ellipse and a triangle?

An ellipse is a curved shape that resembles a flattened circle, while a triangle is a three-sided polygon with straight sides and angles.

2. How are ellipses and triangles related in a problem?

In geometry, an ellipse and a triangle may be related in a problem by intersecting or being tangential to each other, creating various angles and lengths that must be solved for.

3. How do you find the area of an ellipse and a triangle?

The area of an ellipse can be calculated using the formula A = πab, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. The area of a triangle can be found using the formula A = ½bh, where b is the base length and h is the height.

4. What is the difference between an inscribed and circumscribed triangle?

An inscribed triangle is one that is drawn inside an ellipse, with all three of its vertices touching the ellipse. A circumscribed triangle is one that is drawn outside the ellipse, with all three of its sides touching the ellipse.

5. How can the Pythagorean theorem be used to solve ellipse and triangle problems?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find missing side lengths or angles in both ellipse and triangle problems.