What is the position vector of the ball in a tennis serve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the position and movement of a ball being served in a game. The formula for a straight line vector is used to determine the position of the ball at any point along its path. To find the position where the ball hits the floor, the value of s that makes the k component zero must be found and used in the i and j components. This information is then used to determine that the ball cannot land in a shaded area of the court.
Kawakaze

Homework Statement

A player stands with his feet at the point O and serves the ball from a point Y at
a height of 2.4000m vertically above O. Assume that the ball then travels in a
straight line directly over the net at the midpoint A, which is at a height of
0.9144 m, before bouncing at the point X.

Determine the position vector of any point on the line Y A, and hence find
the position vector of the point X. Deduce that the ball cannot land in the
shaded area of the court.

Homework Equations

Excuse my lack of vector notation, i,j and k should be in bold :)

[tex]t=(1-s)p+sq[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]t=(1-s)(0i, 0j, 2.4k) + s(11.8872i, 4.1148j, 0.9144k)[/tex]

[tex]t=11.8872si + 4.1148sj + (2.4 - 1.4856s)k[/tex]

I know I have to rearrange somehow and find i and j when k = 0, but that's about it.

Attachments

• tennis.jpg
    tennis.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 623
Physics news on Phys.org

In t(1-s)p + sq what does each variable mean?

It seems to me it is useful to draw a side-view sketch showing the height of the ball (y) as it travels across the court. I think the slope of this line must be found to predict the distance the ball travels before hitting the floor.

Hi Delphi,

In the formula, s is in between 0 and 1, p is the starting point, and q is the finishing point. this i am told is the equation for a straight line vector, s=0 is the start and s=1 is the end. I assume be rearranging somehow, i can get i & j at any wanted value for k.

Okay, makes sense now. Your vector
[tex]
11.8872si + 4.1148sj + (2.4 - 1.4856s)k
[/tex]
represents the path of the ball when different values of s are used.
You need to find the value of s that makes the k component zero:
2.4 - 1.4856s = 0
for the point when it has height zero.
Then you can use that value of s in the i and j components to find the position on the floor where it hits.

Hi Delphi,

Thanks for the help, I was trying that approach but forgot to take the K out :)

Solved, thanks again!

Related to What is the position vector of the ball in a tennis serve?

1. What is a vector in a tennis match?

A vector in a tennis match refers to the direction and magnitude of a player's shot. It represents the movement of the ball from the racquet to the opponent's side of the court.

2. How are vectors used in tennis?

Vectors are used in tennis to analyze and understand the trajectory of shots, as well as to determine the speed and spin of the ball. They also play a role in strategy, as players use vectors to aim their shots and anticipate their opponent's movements.

3. What factors can affect the vector of a shot in tennis?

The vector of a shot in tennis can be affected by a variety of factors, including the angle of the racquet, the power and speed of the swing, the surface of the court, and environmental conditions such as wind or humidity.

4. How can knowing about vectors improve my tennis game?

Understanding vectors can improve your tennis game by helping you to better control your shots and anticipate your opponent's movements. By analyzing the vectors of your shots, you can also identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to your technique.

5. Are vectors only important for professional tennis players?

No, vectors are important for all tennis players, regardless of their level of skill. Understanding and utilizing vectors can benefit players of all levels by helping them to make more accurate shots and improve their overall game.