What is the potential energy of this group of charges?

In summary, the problem involves three electrons forming an equilateral triangle with a proton at the center. The equation used to solve the problem is U = k[(q_1*q_2)/r], with values of 1.602*10^-19 for both electrons. The resulting answer is -6.4*10^-19 Volts, but the error message "incorrect dimensions" indicates a mistake in the units. The correct units for potential energy should be Joules, not Volts.
neilson18

Homework Statement

Three electrons form an equilateral triangle 0.800 nm on each side. A proton is at the center of the triangle.

Homework Equations

U = k[(q_1*q_2)/r]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the following equation:

k*[(3e^2)/(0.8*10^-9) - (3e^2)/(0.4*10^-9)]

I plugged in 1.602*10^-19 for both e-values, and got the following answer:

-6.4*10^-19 Volts

However, it says that "I do not have the correct dimensions." I'm not sure what that error means or what I did wrong, so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no question in your problem statement... thread titles don't really count as part of the problem statement. :smile:

"Dimensions" refer to the units associated with your answer. What are the units of potential energy, as opposed to electric potential?

gneill said:
There's no question in your problem statement... thread titles don't really count as part of the problem statement. :smile:

"Dimensions" refer to the units associated with your answer. What are the units of potential energy, as opposed to electric potential?

Oh my goodness what a dumb mistake! thank you!

Related to What is the potential energy of this group of charges?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that is stored in an object due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

The potential energy of a group of charges is calculated using the equation PE = k * q1 * q2 / r, where PE is potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units of potential energy?

Potential energy is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be expressed in other units such as electron volts (eV) or ergs (erg).

4. How does potential energy change in a system of charges?

The potential energy of a system of charges changes as the distance between the charges changes. When the charges are brought closer together, the potential energy increases, and when they are moved further apart, the potential energy decreases.

5. What is the relationship between potential energy and electric fields?

The potential energy of a system of charges is directly related to the electric field present in the system. The electric field is a measure of the force that a charge experiences in the presence of other charges, and potential energy is the measure of the work needed to move a charge in this field. As the electric field increases, the potential energy also increases.